Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

garage attic insulation: Which way to put the Kraft paper?

Old 10-29-14, 07:47 PM

Situation:
Southern California detached garage. inland, hot, dry summer, mild winter (think Pasadena Rose Parade). I want to insulate the garage for a piano studio. I've installed a foil radiant barrier with a 3/4 inch air gap between the ceiling deck and the foil. I am planning to put fiberglass between the foil and the drywall. the drywall is not up yet. I have faced R-13 fiberglass insulation. Should the Kraft paper facing go next to the drywall or next to the foil? The foil is closest to the exterior.
Thanks in Advance
David

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-14, 04:08 AM
Hi David and welcome to the forum.

Your foil radiant barrier is probably acting as a vapor barrier as well, although they do make vapor permeable RBs?? Since it is imperative that you don't have more than one vapor barrier you do not want that Kraft on the inside unless you defeat it with holes or cuts. Putting it on the outside next to the RB is not necessary.

Your warm dry climate should eliminate most of the moisture concerns. What you are proposing would not work in a heating climate.

If you plan on installing ac, your r-13 is far less than you might need and well below code.

Bud