Mandatory Town codes on vapor barriers?

Old 11-09-14, 06:38 AM
biketrax's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 400
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Mandatory Town codes on vapor barriers?

My town in Connecticut recommends vapor barriers on all exterior? Is this normal? I thought vapour barriers are really needed where moisture can develop bathrooms and kitchens and so on. I would really like to hear what other town codes require?
Old 11-09-14, 08:13 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Vapor barriers are used on all exterior walls on the warm side (inside) before final wall covering.
Old 11-09-14, 08:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 3,860
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A vapor barrier on the outside would trap all the moisture inside the walls and cause mold, wet insulation, and wood rot.
Sure your not talking about a house wrap like Tyvek?
That's not a vapor barrier.
Old 11-09-14, 09:50 AM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 9,460
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I think Larry and Joe touched on the problem, it's a language issue. Discuss it with them and see if recommended is "required" and exactly what they are looking for. If they want other than what Joe and Larry mentioned, VB on warm side of exterior walls and house wrap on the exterior, then ask for the exact code they are following. If they are not keeping up, the language can be confusing.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: