Insulating old detached garage HELP!......

Old 11-18-14, 01:24 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulating old detached garage HELP!......

I am trying to insulate my old detached garage the structure is comprised of a 2x4 frame with wood boards or "slats" for the outside sheathing and nothing else. These "slats" obviously have cracks and holes in them which allow cold air and some water (when it rains) to pass through to the interior. House wrap or anything on the exterior isn't an option as I don't want the eyesore of plain house wrap or the cost associated with re siding over it. Spray foam also isn't an option due to the high cost. So my question is how to I properly insulate this space from the inside?

Old 11-18-14, 02:59 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Welcome to the forum
First I will need to know where you are located, climate zone and is heating or hot summer your concern?

With such a limited budget it will be difficult to make much of an improvement. It will also be difficult to improve the life span of that building. Fully exposed to the elements the board siding and structure will deteriorate quickly. How old is this building to start with?

Bud

Old 11-18-14, 05:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
If you're garage walls are not able to keep water out then I don't think you should be insulating. You need to fix the basic shell of the building.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: