Freezing air coming from under a/c / heater

Old 11-18-14, 07:31 AM
Freezing air coming from under a/c / heater

I have these a/c / heater units built in in my building, these units run on electricity and consume a ton and barely warm anything. Problem is that they have a gap under that's connected to vents on the outer of the building. I put a blanket to cover the gap connected to the vent (the gap is intentional, it's not broken or anything, all 4 units have this opening), but cold air still comes through. I am attaching a pic.
How can I stop the stop air to come in? Suggestions? Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-14, 10:01 AM
Fresh air vents are sometimes necessary, example, when you have combustion appliances, stove or water heater. Is your stove/range gas or electric?

Bud

Old 11-18-14, 02:01 PM
Hi, my stove works with gas. But I have 2 of these a/c units in the living room and 1 in each room, the rooms are literally freezing cold b/c freezing air keeps n leaking in from the bottom, no matter if I put a blanket ... Still leaks. I am frozen all the time, I need a solution, I can leave 1 open but I dont need all of them open, my apt is a freezer.

Old 11-18-14, 02:38 PM
Can you see the opening and what does it look like, a round duct, square duct?

One trick insulators use is to insert a plastic bag into an opening and thenstuff that with fiberglass insulation. Since you probably don't have any fiberglass insulation hanging around you could use most any packing material or tissues or paper towels.

One caution is that I cannot see what you are seeing so can't be sure what these ducts are.

Once stuffed as good as you can get them they could be covered with tape.

Another concern is that the cold air may also be coming in from under the wall or where the wire comes through the framing. Once you seal the holes, check for more cold air.

Now, Inot a hvac pro, but that radiator need air flowing in under the front to feed up through the warm radiator and out. You do not want to block the air flow below the heater.

I also want to be sure those holes aren't feeding room air into the radiator itself. Do some close up investigating to confirm where the cold air is coming in from.

Bud

Old 11-18-14, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
You said, "apartment" - are you renting? If so, please get the landlord involved in this.

Old 11-18-14, 04:44 PM
Mitch, the more I think about this the more I'm concerned that those openings might be related to the heaters themselves. I've never seen them, but a Google turned up direct vent gas baseboard heaters.

Mika5, given that the gap is intentional, you should not be blocking it until you know what it is. It could be an exhaust vent got gas heaters. You say they are electric, but there is something missing in the explanation.

Remove the towels and any other attempt to block them and as Mitch suggested, talk to the landlord. They will at least know for certain what the vents are for.

Bud

Old 11-18-14, 07:49 PM
Thank you! I'll talk to my landlord!