Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Air leak under new glass sliders

NJ

12-04-14, 01:26 PM   #1  
Air leak under new glass sliders

We just had new glass sliding doors installed a few months ago (there used to be a very old swinging door in that location, so the hole was enlarged and a new header was put in).

Now, I can feel a lot of cold air leaking in from the bottom. There is no moulding between the laminate floor and the door yet - I am in the process of putting quarter round moulding there, but there is a kick-lock so its taking me a long time to get the cut-outs right to fit around the kick lock.

My plan is to glue a strip of something very thin (felt?) under the moulding and then glue (liquid nails?) the quarter round moulding to the very bottom part of the door (i.e., not to the floor). I can't nail it to the bottom of the door as its metal, not wood. Any thoughts on if this will stop the air leak? Any other things I can try?

When the door was installed, I had the installers put spray foam between the door frame and the wall instead of using the pink fiberglass stuff. Also, there is an uninsulated crawlspace below, about 3' tall with a cement floor; no basement. We are NYC area.

Thanks for any help.

Name:  20141204_152116.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  29.2 KBName:  20141204_152122.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  31.7 KBName:  20141204_152153.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  22.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

12-04-14, 01:32 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

My first thought would be to caulk that gap in the bottom picture and look for a similar gap outside and then caulk it as well.

Hang tight for the pros and they may have a different answer.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-04-14, 01:51 PM   #3  
Almost never have I seen sliders installed correctly.
It should have been installed in a sill pan or at least flashed properly.
Never should have been installed on top of the flooring, should have been sitting on top of the subflooring or underlayment.
Threshold should have been set in a thick bed of silicone of there was no sill pan.
Got a picture of the outside?
If there's no roof over that area having a slab, deck, stoop even with the threshold is a big building mistake 101. Sure way to have water getting in under the door and rotting out the subfloor and more.

NJ

12-04-14, 02:11 PM   #4  
Thanks for the info.

The door/track is not on top of the flooring. The pictures may not be clear, but there is a tiny gap (and in some places not so tiny) between the beige/brown track and the floor.

No idea how the threshold was set.

We had a new set of pressure-treated wood steps built (by someone else, who seems to have done a very good job) after the door was installed; the top landing/step is level with the inside floor. There is an overhang outside that extends maybe 3 feet or so; I've never seen the outside of the sliders get really wet from rain. Maybe just a very few drops.

When the steps builder ripped out the old steps that were there, he did find that some of the wood under the door (thou not immediately under; more like a foot below) was rotten, so he ripped that out and replaced before building the new steps. The old steps had been below the threshold by something like 8".

Do you think that a siliconized latex caulk might be good on the inside? I know that the steps builder used spray foam all over the place when he finished building the steps. The steps builder is a friend, and I highly doubt he would have missed something obvious (or unobvious) out of laziness. The door installer was not someone I knew.

I'm still not sure if the air leak is coming from the crawlspace or from outside. Thoughts?

Thanks again.

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

12-04-14, 04:57 PM   #5  
My first thought is that this is a warranty issue. Not warranted by manufacturer but by the installer.
If you just hired a handy man or other to install it, this will probably not work.
If it was installed by a reputable company, then they need to correct the installation.

Brian
Cal Contractor

NJ

12-04-14, 05:20 PM   #6  
Its a company recommended by the door maker itself (Sunrise), so I guess that may be an option.

But if its simply a matter of putting down a little bit of caulk and then the quarter round moulding, its easier just to do it myself.

If that is the recommended solution (is it?), then is siliconized latex caulk the way to go, along with the felt (or whatever?) at the bottom of the quarter round?

Thanks.

VA

12-04-14, 07:19 PM   #7  
Still need an outside picture in the morning so we can see why it's leaking air.
Installed right it would never leak.
I'd also like to see how he did that step.
It needed to be at least 2" below that threshold, not flush.
There's been hundreds of post on this and just about any DIY showing all the damage that can be done by having it flush and not being flashed correctly.
If air can get in, water can get in.

NJ

12-04-14, 07:43 PM   #8  
Ok, I will try to take some pictures in the morning.

I am beginning to think the air may be coming from the crawl space, though. I know both the steps guy and the door installers used spray foam everywhere...although not in the visible crack/gap between the track and the floor. Should I caulk that space between the track and flooring, or should I wait until you can look at the outside pictures? If I should caulk it, then is siliconized latex the way to go?

Also, when the steps guy put the new wood in to replace the rotten stuff he ripped out, he said that he did something so that water would not be able to get to it again to rot it. He only came into the picture after the door was already installed.

Thanks for the advice so far and in the future.

NJ

12-05-14, 08:14 AM   #9  
Pictures below. The landing is level with the inside floor, it is not level with the track of the door, if that helps.

Thanks.

Name:  20141205_073744.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  33.4 KBName:  20141205_073815.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  27.2 KB

NJ

12-05-14, 08:18 AM   #10  
(I'm having trouble uploading an additional three pictures I have, showing the underneath of the landing and a far away view showing the overhangs. I will try to get them uploaded).

Thanks.

NJ

12-05-14, 08:23 AM   #11  
(Original file size was too large.)

Do you need any other views?

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Name:  Far Away.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  35.6 KBName:  Under 1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  33.6 KBName:  Under 2.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  33.4 KB

NJ

12-06-14, 03:12 PM   #12  
So I caulked the gap with silicone caulk, and it seems to have stopped a lot of the air leak. However, it seems like there is still some air coming in from between the track-and-door.

Is there any way to stop some of the air flow? Basically, it seems like the air is going under the door on the outside, over the track, and then out the bottom of the door inside. Anything I can possibly do?

Thanks for any advice.

GA

12-07-14, 03:36 AM   #13  
Have you caulked along the floor line and the threshold, yet. It should stop the majority of the air leakage. I can't vouch for how the door was installed, but two hefty beads of silicone along the threshold and up 6" or so on the sides would have been a good choice to help both water and air infiltration.

We pulled a 107" wide triple door set and replaced it with an 8' slider Friday. The installer should have used window/door installation tape to secure the perimeter and make a pan for the door to sit in, plus use the silicone beads. We closed in one end and had to add WRB and more tape to the left side before finishing, but sealing the door is very important.

Name:  MLM door2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  MLM door 5.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  MLM door1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  MLM door3.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  27.4 KB

NJ

12-07-14, 07:32 AM   #14  
Thanks for the info.

I honestly don't know how the installers put the door in, as I was at work that day.

As for caulking along the floorline and threshold, I'm assuming that means where the floor ends, then there is a small gap, and then the track? If that's what you mean, then I did caulk it with silicone caulk between my first and second posts. It did stop a lot of airflow (which I think may have been from the crawlspace [thanks for the reply on my other post, BTW]). If you mean something else, could you please clarify? I'm sure what you said made sense, but I'm a DIY weekend warrior, so pretty much anything I do has the chance of hurting me!

The airflow now is coming from above the track but below the sliding door - a gap that varies from about a quarter inch all the way on the left/bottom side of the sliding portion to about a half inch on the right/bottom side of the sliding portion.

I'm thinking of just putting in a combination of quarter-inch and half-inch foam weather stripping. If this is a good idea, I'm thinking of attaching it to the bottom of the inside portion of the door, rather than on top of the inside portion of the track. Does that make sense? Should I instead consider putting it on the outside portion...or should I even consider putting it on both the inside and outside portions?

Anything else I should try first/after?

Should a new door leak air like this? Its a Sunrise (sunrisewindows.com), which got great reviews everywhere I looked online (and I looked a LOT before finally deciding which brand to get). Its got soft low-E and miniblinds between the glass.

Thanks for the advice (and any future help!)

GA

12-07-14, 10:51 AM   #15  
Have you adjusted the bottom rollers? Not sure about yours, but some will have cam clicks that raise and lower the door to adjust canter for an even closing at the latch side. It will also affect the bottom seal, so it must be set low enough to seal, but not too low that it won't roll properly.

NJ

12-08-14, 06:29 PM   #16  
I haven't looked into that yet. I know when the installers put it in, they said they had to play with raising and lowering different portions to make it level (apparently the floor is somewhat sloped so the track is somewhat sloped).

I did take a quick peek and couldn't find where the cam clicks might be. I'll look more extensively during the weekend when I'll have sunlight to help.

Thanks again for the advice.

Search this Thread