Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Blue. plastic electric box in attic safe to have cellulose around it? Also...

Old 12-09-14, 09:29 PM

I am prepping my attic to blow cellulose over my existing attic fiberglass batts, and I have a few questions. Iím a first-time home owner who has used the internet as a guide to air seal my attic. Now just a few, remaining head scratchers . . .

I used caulk to plug up and seal the small holes/seams of my metal electrical boxes built into the attic floor, but what about this mounted blue, plastic box? Is there any concern about this type of box and contact with cellulose? I mean, if it was a high-temperature fire hazard, I guess they wouldnít make it out of plastic, right? I just wanted to double check!
Name:  CAM00427.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  30.8 KB

Also, Iím wondering if some of the patterns in my attic wood grain are telling of any kind of moisture problem. The following pics are of an area that potentially looked a little odd. I am way too inexperienced to have much any idea about what Iím looking at up there. I guess that means there isnít anything obviously wrong. Does anything notice anything I should take note of?
Name:  CAM00396.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  40.2 KB
Name:  CAM00381.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  39.9 KB
Name:  CAM00393.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  35.0 KB

Bonus question! Is it possible to get a energy tax credit/rebate by air sealing and insulating by myself? or would it have to be done by a certified service provider?? Thanks for your time and assistance! Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-14, 10:12 PM
Group Moderator
No special precautions needed with plastic boxes. You don't have to protect them. It should remain visible so that if there is a problem in the future it's easily located.

It does look like you had moisture on some of the roof rafters. Adding insulation to keep the heat in downstairs should be a help. Also make sure you have ventilation/air flow thru the attic.

Make sure there are no vents lines discharging up there.

Old 12-10-14, 05:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only items that need to be air sealed are the ones that penetrate the house envelope.
(ceiling, top plates)
No ridge vent?