Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulation needed for closets

12-30-14, 06:21 PM   #1  
Insulation needed for closets

Hi,

I am in need of some advice regarding ways to insulate existing closets to a townhome. I have a foyer closet in the 1st floor which is above the unheated poured concrete basement and a closet above the foyer in the bedroom that are extremely cold in the winter. The walls of the closet that are really cold are the exterior walls since I have an end unit home. I am sure I am loosing valuable heat and just don't know what to do without tearing out the the finished wall board and reinsulating ( if there is proper insulation to begin with!)
Thank you for any suggestions you might have.
Gina

Sponsored Links

ME

12-31-14, 01:21 AM   #2  
Hi Gina,
The closets are cold for two reasons, heat escaping to the outside and being a closed space there is little heat getting in. The same thing would happen to any room with outside walls if you shut off the heat to that space.

The heat loss is less of a concern than the risk of growing mold. If you investigate other exterior walls, like around an electrical box, and find insulation, then it is likely those closet walls have the same. If the walls are insulated and you need/want the closets to be warmer, leave the doors open for a few days and see if that helps. If yes, then a louvered door or gap at top and bottom might work.

Bud

Search this Thread