Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Garage insulation

IL

01-15-15, 06:08 AM   #1  
Garage insulation

I moved in to a 1950s ranch with a low slope 3/12 pitch attached garage, with no insulation over the sheetrocked ceiling. I put in an unvented 30 thousand btu heater, and the humidity created is horrible. My workshop is in half the garage. Now I'm afraid I'm going to have frost condensing in the attic, so I want to insulate with a vapor barrier. What to use? Do kraft faced batts have an adequate barrier? Any other thoughts on a solution? Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-15-15, 06:13 AM   #2  
Because they used to not include the vapor barrier on ceilings I'd be inclined to just rely on the kraft paper since the drywall is already hung. You should inspect the ceiling first and seal up any voids to prevent air leakage.

There are some members that are real knowledgeable in this subject so hang on and see what they have to say

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

01-15-15, 06:26 AM   #3  
#1, The roof is going to need to be vented with both soffit and ridge vent, baffles to keep the soffit area clear for air flow for this to work.
In your area R50 of insulation is called for. Which is about 12".
Your going to find some other issues using that type of heater.
Something as simple as spraying some WD 40 or spray painting something will give you an instant head ache and stink the whole place up.

ME

01-15-15, 12:22 PM   #4  
Adding to Mark and Joe's comments, as you discovered, an unvented heater generated gallons of water that will go directly to the colder drywall. Besides the safety issues, not a good choice for a garage, especially if it is run intermittently.

Do you intend to heat this continuously or just when you are in the shop?

Bud

IL

01-16-15, 05:42 AM   #5  
Garage insulation

I only heat the shop when I use it.

Search this Thread