Small Attic - batts or blown?

Old 03-25-01, 11:37 AM
rwpark
Visiting Guest
I have a 20's story & a half with a relatively small attic... ( you can't stand up) It has about six inches of blown in cellulose. After I clear out the knob & tube wiring, I would like to put in more insulation. Should I lay down bats over the cellulose with moisture barrier down or would I be better off with more blown in and no moisture barrier?

Old 03-26-01, 02:05 PM
rwpark
Visiting Guest
Talking

Ok, so I read past posts and have determined more blown in would be optimal. Now, how about that shiney foil stuff that goes between the rafters to reflect radiant heat? Worthwhile?

Old 04-01-01, 05:06 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That's quite an arguement you are having with yourself. If you have determined that blowing in additional cellulose is the answer, do it. That "shiney foil stuff" is a vapor barrier, and trying to get it buried under your existing cellulose so that it lays on the ceiling plaster or sheetrock just wouldn't be worth the effort. You would have a gap in it at every ceiling joist, so it's effectiveness would be minimal.

Old 04-01-01, 10:11 AM
rwpark
Visiting Guest
Talking Shiney Stuff

Lefty: One brand of the shiney stuff I was referring to is called Fi-Foil. I guess it staples on the rafters above the insulation, supposedly reflects radiant heat. Where it reflects it to, I don't know...but I wonder if it actually has some benifit?

...anything for a cooler attic..RWPARK

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: