Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating house with no insulation

MA

02-14-15, 01:49 PM   #1  
Insulating house with no insulation

So I am going to be given a summer cottage in New England. The house itself has 0 insulation. The Roof is no problem, put some insulation in the roof.

My Main concern is the walls. The house is 100+ years old. Normally, in modern houses there would be the exterior wall, which would have 2 x4s with insulation between them and then sheetrock on the inside. This house does not have that. There is nothing in between the exterior and interior wall. My question is, how would I insulate the walls? Is this something I can do myself?

I have worked with my father (a contractor in FL) since I was 6 years old until I went to college. I have done everything from repair roofs, install insulation, redo floors, etc. However, I am a software engineer by trade. Can anyone offer any guidance? I would like to try and do the majority of the work myself to save some money. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

02-14-15, 02:12 PM   #2  
The Pro's will have better advice, but unless you build interior walls, or re-side with something and build out the exterior...there's no way to insulate.

My Grandmothers house in San Diego was the same way. It was built in the 30's or 40's and I don't know how they did it, but the walls were only about 1.5" thick.

On the other hand...it is a summer cottage in NE right? Does it really need insulation? Are you going to be living there full time/year round?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

MA

02-14-15, 02:31 PM   #3  
Hey,

Well, I'd like to be able to live there all year around. Heating bill will probably be 350+ a month unless I insulate the walls. Building interior walls, I didn't really think about doing that. I guess I could do that and put insulation in. I would just anchor the interior wall on the stubs of the existing wall, I assume.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

02-14-15, 04:29 PM   #4  
Going to have to back up and give way more info.
Starting from inside to outside what's there now?
Far more important is what's there for windows, and how much insulation if any is in the attic?
Balloon wall construction? Not sure what it is Google it.

Group Moderator

NE

02-14-15, 04:35 PM   #5  
You can blow cellulose into existing walls, which will be better than nothing, but there will likely be a few places that get missed. We also don't know anything about your walls... if they were double plaster, for instance, the cellulose probably won't be very thick.

Super Moderator

AZ

02-14-15, 04:52 PM   #6  
I may have misread. Are there studs in the wall? So there's a 4" space, just no insulation? Lots of ways to fix that. I thought you were saying the inside was just opposite of the outside with no framing. Couldn't figure out how they built it or how it lasted 100 yrs.

As X said, blown cellulose is the normal route.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NJ

02-14-15, 04:59 PM   #7  
Is there exterior sheathing or is the siding nailed right onto the studs? Is there plaster on the inside or is boards?

Search this Thread