Corner room of house colder then other rooms?

Old 02-16-15, 05:11 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Corner room of house colder then other rooms?

raised ranch built in 1964 the southwest corner of the house. Baseboard heating, hardwood floors. Central AC ducts ar closed up. I live in NY and with these extremely cold temps the room is about 5 degrees cooler. This is my 6 month old daughters room and at night our room is next to her and if we have the temp (dual zones) of the bedrooms set at 71 her room clocks in at 66. What can I do? Thanks

Old 02-16-15, 05:50 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What corner is that room, north west, south west, etc....? Is that room the furthest away from the boiler? What temp is the aquastat set at? Raise the temp on that for starters. Then look at the wind. NW & SW winds are the most common & the coldest depending on how close to the water you are.

Old 02-16-15, 10:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Corner room is two outside walls; that's always going to require more heat to compensate.

Old 02-16-15, 12:51 PM
M
Actually, 66 is very doable with a baby. She should wear a bunny suit (so she can't kick it off when moving) then be wrapped in several layers of her blankets (the layers trap air which insulates well). If she's very squirmy, make her final blanket a big one that you tie to the four corners of her crib, with room for her to roam around under it. She will warm her little cocoon quite well. Two things: don't unwrap her just to change diaper at night, just make her diaper a good thick one and leave it till morning so she doesn't have to rewarm her cocoon. More important: make sure she gets no draft at all! Hang a large blanket over each side of her crib and another at each end, so there's no chance of a draft. Believe me, she'll be toastier than you are. BTDT

Old 02-17-15, 08:05 AM
S
Group Moderator
I don't think blankets are advised for a six month old due to suffocation concerns.

Old 02-17-15, 09:05 AM
M
Sorry, wasn't clear enough. I don't want to mislead anyone!

The blankets wrapped to make her cocoon are her blankets - those small, lightweight baby blankets that are used on her every day. The big blanket tied to the corners of the crib would be high enough off the mattress to let her move easily - there will be plenty of air under there and there shouldn't be lots of "sag" to make folds that would trap her. The big blankets draped over the sides won't be near her. If she should get herself near them, a 6-month-old is strong enough that if she's breathing with difficulty, she moves herself away by getting more restless. And actually, since the side/end blankets are there to block the drafts, plain sheets would do as well.

There would be real suffocation danger if the baby were taken into bed with an adult to keep her warm. The adult can turn over onto the baby, or move their covers in such a way as to block her air and make her unable to squirm away. She's safer in her own bed, and it can be modified safely to compensate for a cool house.

Old 02-17-15, 09:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
I know what you're saying and I may be wrong but off the top of my head, I think blankets are not advised in the crib at all at that age.

Old 02-17-15, 12:11 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It looks like the OP disappeared. I hope all is well with the baby.

Old 02-17-15, 02:41 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Use a sleep sack for the baby. The work out great.

Yeah, 66 is not a worry for the baby. She will probably sleep better. Never-the-less, you want to solve the uneven heating. You need to find out what the insulation situation is. If there is an attyic space above, look to see how much insulation is there compared to the other rooms.

If the room is the last one on the heating loop, it will be receiving the coldest water. If you have copper fin tube baseboard, have you tried closing the louvers in the warmer rooms? Have you used a vacuum to clean out all of the dust in the fins?

Old 01-11-16, 03:20 AM
X
The room is still cooler as I tried all the recommendations. The baby is fine thanks but the uneven heating is the mystery.

Old 01-11-16, 05:15 AM
T
Received 108 Upvotes on 96 Posts
There could be numerous reasons for the differential having little to do with insulation. Look at the size of both rooms and the length of both baseboards to see how they compare. How many windows are in each room and how are they? Is the child's baseboard blocked by furniture? Is that room over the garage or other unheated area?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: