Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sheetrock in the attic?

CT

02-17-15, 04:38 AM   #1  
Sheetrock in the attic?

I'm about to add insulation in the attic. A section of the attic floor - above the front entrance and stairway to the second floor - has sheetrock over the existing insulation. Should I remove the sheetrock before adding insulation or just add the additional layer of unfaced insulation over it? To me it's like having an intermediate layer between the insulation.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

02-17-15, 04:45 AM   #2  
Never should have been there in the first place.
It's acting as a double vapor barrier.
Before adding anything make sure the attic has been air sealed.
Simply means anyplace wiring or plumbing was run through the top plates, any ceiling fixtures run through the ceiling get sealed up.
May need to add baffles so the soffit vents do not get covered up.
You would be far better off using blown in then batts.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-17-15, 04:46 AM   #3  
Do you mean there is sheetrock over a flat horizontal surface?? Or is this a knee wall? Sheetrock is not made for horizontal application on attic flooring, so without seeing it, we would be hard pressed to tell you for sure whether or not to remove it. Definitely don't add any insulation over it until pix are posted. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

CT

02-17-15, 06:30 AM   #4  
I could add a picture but it sounds like I should just remove the sheetrock. It is horizontal, so the existing insulation is sandwiched between this sheetrock and the sheetrock from the living area ceiling, like someone added a sheetrock floor to a portion of the attic.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-17-15, 06:52 AM   #5  
Installing drywall over the ceiling joists [attic floor] doesn't make sense as you can not walk on it. Maybe it was someone's stupid attempt to air seal the ceiling I'd remove the drywall, inspect what's under it and

then proceed accordingly.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread