Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Fixing insulation problem in existing walls and hard to access spaces

Old 03-28-15, 09:08 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I live in Chicago area and winter here is pretty cold. I got an old house and I have been working to try to make it more efficient. I added insulation to the attic and in any place I can think off. Still, I seem to have insulation problems in the walls. The is cold air coming from all outlets on exterior walls. I tried using spray foam around the outlet and it seems to have helped a bit but still cold air comes from it.

I have done some small repairs to the wall and I see there is some fiberglass insulation batts but I am guessing they are old and probably damaged due to weather.

So anyway... Here are my questions.. .

1. How can I insulate attic very hard to reach spaces? Some kind of foam with some hose extensions???

2. Best way to add more insulation to the wall without ripping them out (and hopefully suitable for a DIY project). I researched and found options like Injection, foam spray with extension hose but there seems to be contradictory opinions about it. I know there is probably not a definite answer but any suggestion with tips and pointers (or links) to specific products I can buy would do it.

Note that the walls are not empty hollow, they do have some insulation already, so blowing don't seem like an option.

Thanks in advance for any hint/tip

Old 03-28-15, 09:59 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Some improvements are more affordable than others and some yield greater energy savings. Some should be done first, like air sealing the attic floor before you bury it in insulation or making all of the energy improvements before you purchase a new oversized heating system. If you prepare a plan with a sequence of improvements your efforts will be more productive and less expensive.

Below are two links to read on overall home improvements and on air sealing.
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...build-renovate
http://www.efficiencyvermont.com/ste...ide_062507.pdf

Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 03-28-15 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-15, 11:53 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
If it's balloon wall constrution those walls are open all the way from the basement to the attic, it needs to be fire blocked to stop the air flow.
Fiber glass does not stop air flow.
Sill plates and under the floors been air sealed and insulated?
Checked into getting an energy audit?
Old single pane windows with the old window weights?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: