Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cost of RMax Insulation Foam Boards?

CAL

04-28-15, 01:04 PM   #1  
Cost of RMax Insulation Foam Boards?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there knew how much a single board of RMAX Rigid insulation board, 4" thick and 4'x8' in size costs? I'm having insulation done and I don't want to get taken for a ride. They are putting that in for the ceiling insulation and regular fiberglass insulation in the walls. Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Sponsored Links

ME

04-28-15, 03:30 PM   #2  
Need to clarify?
You said "They are putting that in for the ceiling insulation" is this the ceiling or on top of the roof, under the shingles?

It doesn't make any sense installing 4x8 sheets in the ceiling.

Bud

VA

04-28-15, 03:35 PM   #3  
I agree, never heard of that being used in a ceiling.
Blow in would be a whole lot cheaper for a ceiling.

CAL

04-28-15, 04:37 PM   #4  
In the ceiling, and the insulation starts off as 4' x 8' boards, its cut up to fit in-between the rafters. There is no attic space.

ME

04-28-15, 05:00 PM   #5  
Rafters are the roof, so what you are talking about is called a hot roof, no ventilation. Placing insulation between the rafters will still leave the rafter irself as a thermal bypass. What are you planning to cover the bottom of the rafters with?

As for price, I have never used 4" foil faced material. Where we would be using full sheets we would use two 2" layers and stagger the joints. Preferably we would install the rigid insulation on top of the roof sheathing, then another layer of sheathing and then shingles.

Where spray foam is expensive, it may still be price competitive with RMax when you add in the labor and waste.

Is "no venting" a correct assumption?
Bud

WA

04-28-15, 06:11 PM   #6  
Prices will vary depending on where you are and where you buy. As an example, the Home Depot near me has 2 inch foil-faced polyisocyanurate for about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of the very same material at my local REAL lumber yard.

Search this Thread