Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Drilled through vapor barrier - fix needed and if so, what?

Old 05-28-15, 01:25 PM

Hi
I'm putting in a wall mount mirror in my bathroom and there weren't studs so I had to drill (2) 3/8" to use molly bolts. On the second hole when I pulled out the drill, I got insulation and some plastic in addition to the drywall. I have just now been reading and understand the importance of a continuous vapor barrier but is it really necessary to fix this little hole?

I'm the only one who uses this bathroom and I always use the exhaust fan. I had replacement windows installed 5-6 years ago and I am sure they didn't do anything that would preserve the vapor barrier. I live in Indiana and I was drilling into the wall that receives the adverse weather as well as the afternoon sun year round. The exterior wall is vinyl siding that was placed over T-111. I don't know what is underneath. The house was built in 1985.

Cutting out part of wall just because I broke the vapor barrer seems like a whole lot of work for very little, if any gain. I don't care if there is some minute additional heat loss. So the only positive I can see is a a lower risk of mold in the wall cavity. Would spraying foam insulation into the hole suffice?

Thanks,
Lori

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-15, 02:18 PM
While not ideal I personally would not lose one single second of sleep over it. Truth is, I doubt that your vapor retarder is perfect everywhere else in the house.

Old 05-28-15, 11:15 PM
Thanks for responding! Glad for the confirmation. While I wasn't going to lose sleep, I bet the thought would have crossed my mind whenever I plucked an eyebrow - at least for the next two or three anyway.