Loft Insulation Identification

Old 07-09-15, 06:36 AM
Loft Insulation Identification

Hello,

I have just recently moved into a new house and, before doing some DIY work in the loft area, wanted to try and identify the various different types of insulation that has been laid down up there by the previous owners. I am basically trying to determine:

(a) whether the material is safe (doesn't contain asbestos)
(b) whether the material is any good (or should be replaced with something better)

I have taken some photographs of the various types of insulation to help out.

Name:  Loft Insulation (Type 1 Small).jpg
Views: 6833
Size:  50.5 KB
Insulation Type 1: Looks like bits of old newspaper with furry grey fluff mixed in.

Name:  Loft Insulation (Type 2 Small).jpg
Views: 2842
Size:  38.1 KB
Insulation Type 2: Looks yellow and fluffy and is lying on top of the newspaper stuff.

Name:  Pipe Insulation (Small).jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  44.1 KB
Insulation Type 3: Appears quite old and restricted to the pipes.

If anything appears concerning then I'll obviously think about having a professional come over to have a closer look at the loft in person, but I didn't want to do that without at least having a vague idea as to what I am actually dealing with first.

Many thanks for any help people can give me,

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-15, 04:24 AM
The first picture looks like it may be a cellulose based material. The yellow is fiberglass. The pipe wrap is most likely asbestos containing material.

We have done clean outs of jobs like this, where there have been numerous materials in varying quantities. Usually previous owners would get certain materials for free or cheap and overlay however much it would cover.

Best to try to get it all out and address the ceiling plane for air leakage paths at mechanical penetrations, interior soffits, partition/ceiling intersects. After air sealing and determining the ventilation air flow paths, you can better insulate the ceiling with the application of one material. A blown in material will do the best job of dealing with irregular framing and mechanical items but sometimes the practical application of materials will dictate using a batt material. Rock wool products offer uniform density and thickness in terms of a batt but other materials may be more suitable depending on the total circumstance.

If the pipes with asbestos covering are now part of an obsolete assembly, it would be wise to eliminate them . Reviewing all the mechanical systems and making appropriate upgrades is prudent as well.