Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Flexible foam insulation

CANADA

07-20-15, 09:43 AM   #1  
Flexible foam insulation

I have an old home that flexes year to year and requires re-leveling once in a while. I'm interested in spray foam insulation, but concerned that the flexing might cause the foam to split from the joists and allow air to pass through.

Is this an issue? I imagine that foam insulation is designed to flex with your house, but haven't found any information about it on the net.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

07-20-15, 10:05 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

Just what kind of flexing are you experiencing?

CANADA

07-20-15, 11:22 AM   #3  
I just bought a house built on pier & beam foundation. Right now, the floors aren't level, and as part of the sale, a foundation company is replacing a pier, adding another for additional support, and releveling the area. They said it's due to many years of not being re-leveled, and that it's something that should be done every few years to make sure the floors stay level.

The flexing I'm talking about is this movement of the piers as well as general expansion and contraction over the seasons.

PA

07-21-15, 03:56 AM   #4  
While you may not find a lot of info. on flexibility, you will find some info. regarding the rigidity that foam, (2 lb. density, closed cell) adds to a structure. Unless you are talking significant movement, I doubt that the foam will break free of the framing but there is always an exception in an extreme case.

Are you in a permafrost area? Is there an apron around the perimeter of the structure that closes it off from winds. What does the foundation co. you are using attribute the movement to? Is there insulation in the floor now?

I can't imagine living in a structure on piers in Canada without an extremely well insulated floor.

CANADA

07-29-15, 08:04 AM   #5  
I live in Windsor, ON which is right next to Detroit, so not permafrost area (most of the population lives near the border btw). There is an apron around the crawlspace and I believe it's wood around the main house and cinder blocks around the addition. There is insulation down there, but I'd like to add a foam spray as the primary insulation/vapor barrier.

I read a lot and am leaning towards open cell to allow it to flex and allow wood apron to breathe when it gets wet. If I go through with this, it will likely be next year so I got plenty of time to do more research.

Search this Thread