Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Vapor barrier needed if converting attached garage to living space?

Old 07-23-15, 01:16 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We are planning on converting an attached garage to living space. To do so, I will be putting in floor joists that will not be sitting on the garage slab floor. They will be raised to meet the floor height of the rest of the home's living space.

My question is this: do I need a vapor barrier between those floor joists and the current garage slab floor? The garage (and home) is 26 yrs old, if that matters. I don't notice moisture (condensation) on the floor on warm, humid days, but we have the door open most of the time.

I certainly don't want moisture ruining the insulation I plan on hanging between the joists and/or creating a problem for the living space itself.

If I do need a vapor barrier, I am assuming I would use a large sheet of plastic and lay on the slab floor and then up the exposed garage foundation wall (on which I will be setting the joists). Does that seem correct?

Thanks for any help!

Old 07-23-15, 01:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,183 Upvotes on 1,141 Posts
Have you done a moisture test on the floor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: