XPS boarding for my basement in Utah

Old 09-08-15, 01:27 PM
XPS boarding for my basement in Utah

I am just in the beginning phases of finishing my basement and cannot find out conclusive information about using this 2" XPS boarding before I begin my framing. In some places I read that I should use this, and other places I hear that it is a bad idea. I live in the Provo, Utah area and the climate is relatively dry with the exception of winter providing some snow. Let me know if in this area something this is required, or if I should be avoiding it. If it turns out that I should be doing something like this, do you attach it with glue? or just set the framing studs back a few inches? thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-15, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You attach the foam with glue as you need it adhered to the wall to avoid creating an air space.

What's the reasoning you're seeing for this being a bad idea? While you need a certain amount based on the climate in your area (and hang tight as Bud will know those numbers), this is generally a very good way to start.

Old 09-08-15, 01:41 PM
So in a few DIY videos I have heard that homes in dryer areas wont need something like this, being in a desert I just figured it might not be necessary (adding this would cost >$2000 in supplies as well). I also read a few reviews that told me that if the glue isn't applied properly the moisture can come in to any pockets and grow mold.