Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Insulating the Interior of Home (Existing Sheetrock)

Old 09-23-15, 09:16 AM

I recently had a new window put in for my home, and while they needed to cut into the wall and open it up for the extra space we could see that I had very old insulation in the walls. Most of which deteriorated.

Last winter was our first winter in the home, and I could feel drafts coming out of the light sockets and just very cold in certain areas of the home.

I am thinking about taking down the current sheetrock, and placing in high R value strips in between the studs and placing new sheetrock back up.

Is there a better option than this, or am I on the right track?

I live in the Northeast so it becomes chilly over here.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-15, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
Taking down the sheetrock and installing new insulation is the correct way to insulate but is also the costliest and most time consuming.

There are companies that can drill in from outside and spray foam in the walls. This is a way to add "after market" insulation but is nowhere near as complete and as effective as removing the sheetrock and insulating properly.

Old 09-23-15, 01:42 PM
Depending upon the type of existing insulation and its condition they can also dense pack cellulose right along with the old. If it is fiberglass the new cellulose will just push it aside.

Other factors come into play, like older homes might have knob and tube wiring, but calling for a couple of estimates will help you decide.

As a last resort you can remove the drywall, but that is a much bigger job.

Bud