Insulating attic with non ventilated soffits

Old 09-27-15, 08:01 AM
Insulating attic with non ventilated soffits

Hi - I need to add insulation into my attic. My soffits are solid and do not have ventilation holes. I do have several root and gable vents. Do I still need to put the baffles in or would they have no affect since the soffits aren't vented?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-15, 02:41 PM
Usually you insulate the attic floor. Are you finishing the attic for living space, storage, or just hoping for better insulation for the house below.

Once we know what your plans are we can advise what may be required.

Bud

Old 09-29-15, 08:17 AM
I see it has been moved ..........................

Old 09-29-15, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Correct, I am only insulating the attic floor. The space is not livable and I'm hoping for better insulation of the house below.

Right now there is only 6" of Fiberglass. I'm looking to blow in at least another 6". I've already sealed most of holes from plumbing and electrical, but I do have recessed lighting and using an infrared camera I can see that I'm losing air through those fixtures.

Old 09-29-15, 12:49 PM
Yes, recessed cans need to be AT and IC rated. Air tight and insulation contact. If yours are, then you can bury them with insulation. If not, they should be replaced. There are some products to cover and air seal them, but since they have not been UL approved I cannot recommend them. In either case you should be running higher efficiency/lower heat bulbs.

I would add baffles as you don't want the insulation tight against the roof. There are edge vents that go under the shingles. Pictures of what you have would help.

Bud

Old 09-29-15, 04:41 PM
Thanks Bud. Yup, the cans are all AT with the gasket ring and IC rated. Was hoping there was a way I could seal them up a bit more though before covering them with the insulation.

Here are a few pics, not sure if these give you what you need. If not let me know and I'd be happy to take some more of a specific area.

Name:  IMG_1450.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  49.8 KBName:  IMG_1451.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  40.6 KBName:  IMG_1453.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  47.6 KBName:  IMG_1457.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  47.3 KBName:  IMG_1458.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  47.4 KBName:  IMG_1460.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  50.1 KBName:  IMG_1463.jpg
Views: 2775
Size:  46.2 KB

Old 09-29-15, 05:14 PM
Good, AT and IC rated will allow you to bury them with new insulation. If you want to box them first I prefer drywall. Frame it or just glue them together. No minimum space require so they can just fit around the lights. But add 12" over the top. The box would to reduce any air leakage. I see shingles on that one roof, is it otherwise open for ventilation? Note, the height of the opening determines any air flow.

Also, I don't see a gable vent in front.

The area where your gutters are attached looks like a small soffit, but not familiar with how that is built. Perhaps one of the pros will help here.

Bud

Old 10-16-15, 09:33 AM
You are correct, there is no gable vent in the front. Only the 2 on the sides. There are several roof vents as well that aren't very visible in the photos.

The "add-on" portion does have part of the old roof which you can see in the photo with the shingles. It's not very open. There is a small "access" hatch that you can go through to get to that side. That side has 2 or 3 roof vents as well, but no gable vents.

Correct about the small soffits. Without the ventilated holes, is there still air flow coming in somehow?

It's getting to be that time of the year now where the heat is on, so the sooner I can get the insulation blown in the better. Appreciate that help!

Old 10-16-15, 10:29 AM
Lacking low vent options and entering the cold season, best approach would be to air seal between house and attic as much as possible and install baffles and insulate. The baffles will allow some separation from the insulation and be there if some form of soffit venting is necessary in the future.

Bud