Insulating under unheated second-floor breezeway

Old 10-22-15, 12:44 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulating under unheated second-floor breezeway

I recently acquired a 1989 Cape Cod in New Hampshire from my mother's estate. There is a breezeway connecting garage and house, finished and heated downstairs but unfinished and unheated upstairs. The upstairs was used as a kind of attic storeroom and was insulated with paper-faced fiberglass between the rafters. It was a veritable mouse condominium, and I tore it all down. As nearly as I can tell there is no insulation under the plywood floor above the first-floor ceiling.

Without the insulation, the breezeway is cold and I suspect a major source of heat loss for the building (it's currently rented). I'd like to lift the floor and add insulation and perhaps a vapor barrier between the floor joists (the upstairs has had condensation and mildew problems, especially on the door that connects the upstairs breezeway with a warm bedroom). Given the ongoing mouse problem I don't want to revisit fiberglass or try cellulose, and am thinking about rigid foam board, maybe Dow Thermax,cut to size and caulked into place. I'd be interested in people's input on this plan. Thanks.

Old 10-23-15, 04:04 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You would be wise to search for the access points for the mice and do everything you can to prevent such an intrusion.

Although none of the insulation materials represents a food source for critters, they will find nearly all of them a " comfortable " place to be. I have seen foam insulations chewed into by mice and other rodents.

You didn't mention if the breezeway is on a slab or crawl space or basement. Try to look at wherever mechanical penetrations come through the floor assembly as these present ideal access points. I have seen mice come through a break in the mortar joints on block foundations. Sealing those areas with wire mesh and/or a sealant that cannot be easily chewed through is the best prevention. You should also keep tree branches and other vegetation and vines off the structure that may provide ladders for the critters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: