Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Horrible Draft From Porch

MN

11-28-15, 12:01 PM   #1  
Horrible Draft From Porch

My house is old, and made of stone block. I have an unheated porch attached to the front of the house. The cavity above the porch ceiling and below the porch roof is about 1000 cubic feet, completely uninsulated.

The problem is that the joists between the first and second floor attach to the stone block on the other side of the cavity above the porch. I'm not sure exactly how its constructed, but there are gaps in the block and in the winter we get an incredible draft through these gaps. The draft makes the floor in the second floor extremely cold, and a couple years ago it was so cold that it froze the water pipes to the second floor. When we fixed that pipe, we had to cut the floor open. We took that opportunity to foam the gaps in the block, but only in the area we cut the floor open.

Would like to eliminate the draft along the rest of the house, but cutting the floor out isn't an option.

It would be easy to seal up the gaps from the porch/exterior side, except the ceiling in the porch is original bead board, and my wife really doesn't want me to take it down.

I'm thinking of cutting a couple holes in the bead board, and trying to blow in insulation. I could limit the damage to the bead board and probably repair the couple of holes decently. Aside from the difficulty of blowing in insulation from below, rather than above, does this sound like a good solution? Would blow in insulation build up enough to prevent the cold air from moving so well through the cavity and into the house?

With regard to sealing up the porch roof itself, I've considered it but I really can't even see where the air is getting in. There are no big holes or problems with the flashing, so not sure where I would even being.

Other ideas?

Thanks!

Name:  Porch Insulation.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  11.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

11-28-15, 12:41 PM   #2  
It would be easy to seal up the gaps from the porch/exterior side, except the ceiling in the porch is original bead board, and my wife really doesn't want me to take it down.
Did she give you an alternative way to seal it? Can it be caulked from the outside? Maybe some pic from the outside might help.

PA

11-30-15, 03:57 AM   #3  
Can you remove a few shingles and cut a hole in the roof sheathing to get access or go in through a gable end of the porch roof?

The draft is not necessarily an intrusion of wind into the structure, it could be created by a few factors. Sealing the holes are the best method of preventing the draft. Insulating the ceiling of the porch itself probably won't do much to stop the drafts. If you can apply foam sheathing to the wall area within the confines of the porch roof, it would also help, spayed foam would be the best if within the budget.

Search this Thread