Mess in my attic

Old 12-05-15, 02:29 PM
Mess in my attic

The previous owner clearly didn't care to insulate the house....at least not right for the NJ conditions.... I have a mix of very old maybe 2 inch fiberglass and some vermiculite insulation ....total maybe 3-4 inch thick.

Here is my dilemma:
Do I clean out all the old insulation material and start fresh or can I just start laying R19 on top of the old fill in order to fill the joist space and then put down R30 across ?

Any other consideration with the old insulation?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-15, 02:39 PM
By the way....the reason for R19 and R30 is that I would need R19 to bring the insulation between joists to the level where I would then be able to put R30 across..... If I was to remove all of that old mix, then I would probably do R30 inside the joist spaces and another R30 across.

As of now, there are a lot of spaces that aren't even filled to the "top"....

Old 12-05-15, 02:42 PM
You mention vermiculite, that is a red flag. You should have a sample tested and then decide accordingly.

Personally, I hate the idea of burying an ugly mess under a blanket of insulation. Remember, with summer conditions the outside air will be filtering down through that mess for all to breathe inside.

There is also the positive step of a good air sealing job that can best be done when everything is out of the way.

Bud

Old 12-05-15, 08:57 PM
Remove it all, air seal, add baffles then and use blown in, not batts.
Far less air gaps.

Old 12-06-15, 10:07 AM
I am, in fact, starting with sealing all small gaps...such as around electrical boxes (ceiling lights), chimney, vents etc...
The vermiculite is spread out sparingly....mostly where the original fibreglass was damaged / settled... not that much of it but it's through out the attic..... by the way, the attic doesn't have any duct work....I have central air and forced air heating with the entire system in the basement, including the duct work.

I kind of want to make it easier on myself....not removing the old stuff....unless I hear from you guys that such approach is not advisable / waste of new insulation / will create problems in the future etc....