cant find this type of insulation

Old 12-20-15, 05:11 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 10
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cant find this type of insulation

hello, I had to do some work in my basement that required me to remove some of the insulation. I went to our local Lowes and cant find any replacement insulation similar to what is currently installed in my basement. Does anyone know where I can get some of this or if there is a suitable substitute for it?

Name:  insulation 1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  40.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-20-15 at 05:15 PM. Reason: removed extra pic
Old 12-20-15, 05:18 PM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 9,498
Received 67 Upvotes on 61 Posts
That is foil faced fiberglass insulation and is normally used for duct-work and insulating mechanical devices like air handlers.
Not sure why it was used where you found it unless there is a wood stove or similar in front of it.

Fibreglass with a vapor barrier can be used for normal construction.
Old 12-22-15, 12:57 PM
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: usa
Posts: 389
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That is an insulation used for basement walls that is most typically installed by an insulation subcontractor for a new home builder.

The facing is known as FSK which signifies a "foil scrim kraft " layering of materials that give it vapor retarder qualities as well as being a fire resistive material.

If you are looking to repair it, I would contact a few insulation contractors in your area and ask if they may sell you what you need.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: