Rigid foam around recessed lights ?

Old 12-21-15, 05:51 AM
Rigid foam around recessed lights ?

Looking over some home improvement sites, I have always seen the recommendation to keep all insulation 3 inches away from the cans as the typical recessed lights generate a lot of heat.... but just the other day I saw an interesting solution.
Basically this guy recommended to use 1inch rigid foam to build a box around the cans. He didn't specify the size or anything but the picture looked like he maintained 2-3 inches away from the can on all sides.

Would that be safe? I thought rigid foam isn't really heat resistant and my understanding is that those cans can get really hot...in excess of 250F...so the air inside that enclosure won't have anywhere to go....

What's the recommendation ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-15, 06:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Other opinions may differ, but you need to maintain an air space around Non insulated cans to allow the air to vent away from the units. I find using 12" coil stock and riveting it together makes a really good "chimney" to allow insulation to stay clear from the heat. Coil stock is already in the shape you need, so cutting it to length is usually not a problem. I just am not sure of using foam unless it is sufficiently spaced from the light. Now, bear in mind, enclosing the cans will defeat the purpose of letting them vent air away.

Old 12-21-15, 06:46 AM
Any cans that where installed where the back side is in the attic should have been I/C air tight.
There should be a label inside the can where the bulb is telling what the max wattage bulb can be used and if there I/C.
I/C being, in contact.
If it's I/C the insulation can be in direct contact with the can.

Old 12-21-15, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
Key word is "non-insulated cans" which is the root of the reason you want to build a box around them in the first place. If you replace your fixtures with IC rated, air-tight cans, the insulation can contact the light without any problems or hazards.

Old 12-23-15, 09:19 AM
So going back to the main question.... I actually looked at the cans up close and couldn't find any indication if they are IC rated.... I didn't see any UL certification or otherwise and the previous owner had all the insulation about 3-5 inch away from the cans.
The only thing I could find was this little sticker and when I google it, I learned that they should be IC-rated so in fact I don't have to worry anymore HOWEVER, I am still bit concerned....there is some imprint in French or Spanish to the right and the small sticker is the only indicator of the model....is it legit ?

Name:  IMG_20151222_231101705.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  33.4 KB

Old 12-23-15, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Unscrew the bulb and look inside the can. They look like IC to me. Dunno about air tight.

Old 12-23-15, 12:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
H7RICT is an IC can........