Insulating the floor?

Old 01-10-16, 07:51 AM
Insulating the floor?

Hello!

I could use some advice on turning a Canadian three season cabin into a year round spot.

The cabin sits on piles with about 18 inches of clearance underneath, and flooring is just carpet down on plywood (I think). There is electric baseboard heat in each room right now, but we'll be installing a wood burning stove in the main room eventually .

My question is this - what is the best cost effective option for insulating the floor from the inside? We want to keep access to the piles as they need some adjustment, but it easily goes down to -30C, so heat is lost through the floor with the clearance underneath. I think the floor is in good shape so ideally I'd like to pull up the carpet and just go from there.

Thank you for any seasoned advice! I'm not handy.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-16, 10:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should be able to put fiberglass insulation between the floor joists and then staple tar paper or something else to cover/seal the insulation. Better yet [but pricey] have it sprayed with foam.

Old 01-10-16, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
From what I gather in your post, you seem to think insulating from above will work. (Removing the carpet). It won't. You'll have to get down and dirty and install insulation from the underside with the vapor barrier toward the living side. Then, as Marksr said, cover under it with something. I prefer 3/8" plywood, but anything to keep air and critters out will work.