Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Attic insulation prep - Airsealing Fake dormer question

Old 01-14-16, 05:42 AM

Hi Everyone,

I might have posted this question in the wrong area - I tried asking in the "Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces" sub-forum but no responses.. I figure someone has to know the answer :-)

Anyhow, I am in the process of Air sealing my attic in preparation to blowing in insulation. I am air sealing all top plates / penetrations to the ceilings (electrical boxes, etc)

My roof has continuous soffit vents and a continuous ridge vent.

I am installing Accuvent soffit baffles and then spray-foaming them sealed. On the front of my house (see pictures) is a fake/false dormer over the master bedroom. There is no airflow as there is no soffit. So I think all I need to do is air seal the beams (see pictures) on each bay of the roof).

Yes I know I need to get rid of the mice

Any thoughts?

Thanks!Name:  Inside attic view of Dormer.jpg
Views: 3145
Size:  24.8 KBName:  front of house with captions.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  32.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-16, 06:31 AM
Hi Steve,
I saw your other post, but still can't put together the fake dormer issue. If it is just built on top of the rafters with no access, then the picture provided doesn't seem to fit. Is the fake dormer directly above the section noted?

Are you worried about venting the fake dormer or sealing the top plate that runs across below the dormer?

Bud

Old 01-14-16, 07:43 AM
Hi Bud,

I guess what I mean about fake dormer is this:

The house was first fully roofed with plywood without the Dormer, then they framed this Fake dormer on top of the roof over the 2 windows as shown in the picture. There is absolutely no access to the fake dormer from the inside of the attic. What you see in the picture from the inside in the bay to the left is the lower header needed to frame said "fake dormer"

I am worried about sealing the top plate that in the area where the false dormer sits.

I am also half-tempter to cut a hole in the Attic "Ceiling" under the dormer and take a peek inside to see what the hell is there?

Old 01-14-16, 09:47 AM
I see no reason to be concerned about air sealing all of the top plate of the framing below. Since the soffit area is often inter-connected it should be allowed to vent into the main attic. Still not certain what I'm looking at. Is the the original soffit below that fake dormer?

Yes, I would open a generous opening from the main attic into that closed off area. The taller the opening the better the air will exchange with the rest of the attic.

Is there a ridge vent on the fake dormer?

Bud

Old 01-14-16, 10:08 AM
Hey Bud,

I will take some better pictures when I get home tonight. They might help explain / show how this Fake dormer is attached etc.

I believe they put a ridge vent on the dormer when they put the new roof on back in May 2015.

I do not have any issues in the attic in regards to mold or anything like that.. I do want to make sure I am good prior to blowing in R60 worth on insulation....

Old 01-14-16, 12:53 PM
Is there soffit vent area along the eave along the front of that dormer? That may be the question you are asking.

Bud

Old 01-15-16, 04:23 PM
Hi Bud,

Attached are two pictures I took of the front of the house, as you can see there is no eave along the front of that dormer - that might explain the dormer better?Name:  house dormer 2.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  29.0 KBName:  house dormer 1.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  19.2 KB.

Last edited by CraZySteve; 01-15-16 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-15-16, 05:14 PM
It does look like there is some soffit area below the left and right corners of that gable. Unknown if it actually vents or could vent to the attic space inside.

Since that attic space is not directly above a conditioned living space it is not going to be prone to moisture problems. To give it some relief from heat and any unexplained moisture, some ventilation would be good. Opening up an access through the old shingled roof to see what is in there would be necessary.

Bud

Old 01-15-16, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
It's not a "fake dormer" so maybe there would be less confusion if you would quit calling it that. You make it sound like that's a "fake room" behind those windows. Its a gable roof, joined to an existing gable roof. What you described is exactly how they are normally framed. Bud... I believe ALL the roof is actually above conditioned space, as you would expect it to be.

Joining two gable roofs.

However I would suggest an access hole be cut between the rafters where possible to allow access between the 2 sections of roof. I'm curious though, how you got the pictures in the attic if you say there is no access.

Old 01-15-16, 05:38 PM
Ok, Thanks XSleeper for setting me straight! I was told it was a fake dormer as there was no access.

Here is a better picture (from bing maps - haha).

There is no access into the gable roof that is above the 2 windows of the master bedroom. The picture I took from inside the attic faces out to the street.Name:  house bing.JPG
Views: 1698
Size:  31.1 KB

Old 01-15-16, 06:27 PM
It looks like you do have a ridge vent over that front dormer and from the prior picture you may have a small amount of soffit venting to that space. May be all you need.

X, in the op's description "The house was first fully roofed with plywood without the Dormer, then they framed this Fake dormer on top of the roof over the 2 windows as shown in the picture." that would indicate the main attic lies between the conditioned space and the additional dormer. I doubt the air in the attic will reach the moisture levels of the living space, thus the new dormer is not exposed to that high level. Yes, it is above, but not directly above.

Bud