Insulating and close off part of a two car garage.

Old 01-27-16, 05:18 PM
Insulating and close off part of a two car garage.

Name:  20160126_175718.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  29.4 KB
I have a dilemma I was hoping someone on this forum may be able to help with. I have a large 2 bay, 2 story detached garage. Currently, as you can see it was a dumping ground for stuff from when I moved. I would like to close off the left side of the garage and remove the door (its damaged beyond repair)and seal it and make it a rec area for the kids. The issue is the ceiling is so high, I'm not sure how I can frame out 1/2 and insulate without spending a fortune. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-16, 05:27 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I just worked in a garage where the ridge board broke & it may have broken because someone had installed dry wall. The dry wall could have been too much weight for the structure. I'm not sure of that but I suggest that you keep that in mind before you try to insulate.

Old 01-27-16, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
I'm envisioning you building stud walls and a ceiling with joists.

Old 01-27-16, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome.

Now that we see the picture, maybe a simple floor plan would help, just a sketch of the dimensions.
I don't think height is an issue, it looks more like wall placement would be the issue.
I don't see too many double garage doors with an entry door in between.

The fortune spent would be framing, insulation and drywall. Shouldn't be that bad, depends how you want to fill in the doors to match the house.

Search this Thread