kitchen cabinets and rafters

Old 02-04-16, 03:51 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kitchen cabinets and rafters

I am installing kitchen cabinets (cab) and they are right up to and into the rafters. Had to cut back of cab to fit.I put insulation and stapled to rafters.The question is I can not put or enclose the very top back of the cab in plaster board. When I say I can not enclose top I mean the back of the cab. The very front or about 6 in will have plaster board to enclose it.Would it be OK to install heavy plastic sheet on very top of cab in the back . It will be very hard to seal the plaster board at one point.I really do not want any dust from the attic to be coming into the kitchen. The problem is I do not know if the plastic sheet would be another vapor barrier?? With the plastic and the insulation both being there.

Old 02-04-16, 03:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Not sure I completely follow Is the back or top of the cabinet open with nothing between it and the insulation? If you can't do it any other way you need to take the cabinet down and modify it to fit with a wall covering in place.

Old 02-04-16, 05:05 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
How about you send us a few pics of the location and the cabinets? Send both close-ups and distance.

Old 02-04-16, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
His original kitchen post might clear things up.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ca...g-line-up.html

Old 02-05-16, 04:42 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Back of Cabinets are closed but they are right up against the insulation.Made cut outs in top of cabinets (around rafters) and closed up opening so they fit up into rafter by a few inches,in the back of the cabinets.There are no opening in the cabinets except the door on front.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: