Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Possible insulation and venting issues....where did my snow go?

Possible insulation and venting issues....where did my snow go?

Old 04-02-16, 05:29 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
See if this works... Made a Google photos album of the pile of bundles, before blowing and after blowing

https://goo.gl/photos/iuK9iYNdANKzm2tk8

Net result is about r-52 or something. You can just barely see the tops of the home depot yard sticks I cut in half and tacked up. My goal was 16-17" blown in and I pretty much made that. Used about 85 bags over 950 sq ft so it's close to the spec by greenfiber

Old 04-03-16, 06:35 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Looks great, but now I will have to wait 6 months to hear how this affects the comfort of the home, although it is rather cold right now.

I'm working on a proposal to the energy gurus to suggest our current ceiling insulation recommendations are based too strongly on the financial return on investment and ignore the comfort factors resulting from extra insulation. Ceilings especially, since it is easy to add more. But there is definitely an improvement in comfort during the shoulder temps, and comfort for old timers like myself is well worth the investment.

Good job and let us know how it feels.

Bud

Old 04-03-16, 06:40 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Will keep you posted.

It was a little chilly overnight but is supposed to be even colder today/tomorrow.

I'm definitely one to take into account my comfort vs just return on investment (and Im not even an old timer ). I would have blown the full R-60 but I had concerns about the weight of all that insulation, so I aimed for somewhere between R-49 and R-60. The price difference between the two had no effect on my decision.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: