Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Double up on Roxul or other basement ceiling solutions?

Old 04-15-16, 12:22 PM

So I put one layer of Roxul Safe 'n Sound in the ceiling of my basement where I have my AV system.
It did help but still would want to improve the sound insulation.
The living room space above the system still "shakes" when I really increase the Volume.

I still have space in the joists to put another layer of Roxul....would that in effect double the deadening effect ? Should the batts be touching or is it better to create a small gap between them?

Any other idea to improve on sound penetration up through the ceiling/floors ?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-16, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
You need to find a way to break the structure between the two floors - the sound is getting up there by conducting through the solid materials. The are decouplers available for ceilings so you can effectively create another ceiling below the current one which is largely disconnected from the original.

Old 04-15-16, 03:58 PM
can you please elaborate.... or point to some good read on sound treatment.
SO far, based on your feedback, I am understanding that best improvement will be accomplished if I somehow separate the two "structures" - ceiling in basement from the floor in the LR.

I guess I need to think in terms of empty space.... something suspended and not conducting the acoustic energy up through any parts of the floor into the living room

Old 04-15-16, 05:59 PM
Old 09-01-16, 10:09 AM
I just posted with the same question. What have you learned since April?

Old 09-20-16, 10:33 AM
I can honestly say that doubling the insulation helps very little but it does make a bit of a difference.
I realize that at this point most sound / noise travels through other structures, like doors, the stairs etc...

Old 09-20-16, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sound will travel, not only in the cavities, which are now insulated, but will travel through more solid objects at a higher rate. Those objects include framing material such as joists, sheetrock, trusses, almost anything that is connected to the offending room. What was described earlier was "decoupling" the room's framing and other sound sending components, so sound has no place to travel. It is not cheap, and can alter your ceiling quite a bit, but it can be done.