Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Correct to put some fiberglass insulation over this porch area w/soffit?

Old 04-27-16, 05:58 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Had our siding redone, including facia and soffit to change look of house mainly.

The siding guy sad the metal panelling which is over the porch (I will show pics), should probably have some insulation on top if I want to to that some time. I believe what was there was more like a solid sheet, like facia material. OK what he put UP there I just noticed (after buying some unfaced R19), is not vented. I don't know, given this change, if I should be doing this or not, covering vented soffit-like material with insulation. Unsulate or let it breathe?

Attached Images    
Old 04-27-16, 06:14 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Makes no since to insulate that area.
There's no living space above it.
Insulation would just block the needed air flow to vent the space.

Old 04-27-16, 06:16 AM
C
Received 175 Upvotes on 143 Posts
Nice photos!

You shouldn't cover up the vents with insulation and there's no point in putting insulation there anyway since it's an unheated space below and above. Insulation is only needed between conditioned space (heated and/or cooled) and unconditioned space.

Old 04-27-16, 06:25 AM
G
Well, happy wife happy life as they say and she is adamant that the siding guy wouldn't have asked us to do it unnecessarily.
So here is the compromise.
I found a photo I took of the landscape last year, before siding was done.
I can see the stepped up area (farther away from the door, near therain gutter) was soffit and easy to compare the lower stuff (close to the door) as being a solid panel like facia material but with ridges pressed in for strength or looks.
SO...
To make everyone happy including myself, I will lay a sheet of plastic down on that area that used to be solid then put insulation down, just so air won't be blowing through the vent holes so much.
I agree with you guys though and think this is a good compromise, even though not needed. Will post "before" picture too to see what it used to look like. (EDIT onmy computer I can get this image larger to see the difference better, it is definitely different materials)

Attached Images  
Old 04-27-16, 06:29 AM
G
Did a crop on it, might be easier to see

Attached Images  
Old 04-27-16, 08:17 AM
G
Ell, there is is, wish I could have convinced my wife it wasn't needed. Again the out section is still open completely and the area under the R19 has a sheet of plastic under it.

Attached Images  
Old 04-27-16, 09:11 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Making the wife happy is probably the only benefit, but you do need to work on her vulnerability "she is adamant that the siding guy wouldn't have asked us to do it unnecessarily." I wouldn't consider a siding contractor as a reliable source of advice, even for siding.

Bud

Old 04-27-16, 10:59 AM
G
Only thing is if there is such a thing as "too much soffit" and is better to shut this area off.

Old 04-27-16, 11:07 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Is that space above that large soffit area continuous with the attic space for the main house, or is it just that cavity.

In most applications they say, if you are going to have too much ventilation, then make it the lower area. But, it would be breezy in there with all of that exposed. But so would an open ceiling, which would present no problem.

Bud

Old 04-27-16, 12:09 PM
G
Bud, good to hear from you BTW! That is continuous to the main house. If you look over a few of the pictures, that is just outside the front door above the "stoop" or porch. It is a Wausau home, so not modular but not stick-built either. It is flat where I insulated, which also continues in to the house, the entryway has a flat ceiling which also goes to a coat closet. After that the trusses angle up to form a vaulted ceiling. I did take a pic of the house inside the front door but not sure if I posted it.
There is a wall between the main floor (where this is) and the upper level of the house but there is a large area on top of this which is open, so it does all tie in for ventilation. The garage is attached but of course that is seperately vented with a fire wall between the house and garage.

Old 04-27-16, 12:15 PM
G
Here is pic of just inside the door. Inside the house where it is flat it is insulated with that loose blown in insulation, just outside the door is the area I did. In the first pic you can see where it is still flat and also the open coat closet to the right and that is where the access hole is to get in the attic, lots of fun today going up in there and trying to work in the area above the porch, need to be a contortionist and I am getting too old for this stuff! LOL

As an aside, this is where the siding guys put the doorbell switch, not sure I am happy with it but too late now. I guess we needed to discuss this ahead of time, I think they could have put it on the brick mold around the door.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: