Help Identifying Crumbling Insulation in Warehouse

Old 06-09-16, 06:59 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Identifying Crumbling Insulation in Warehouse

I've recently moved my workshop into a warehouse which has old, degrading insulation which is falling from the ceiling almost daily in small and large clumps.

The landlord has told me its safe, but I was hoping somebody could tell me what type of insulation it is and whether it poses a health risk of any kind - i'll be working in there six days a week 8-5. It breaks up almost like an old cake between the fingers. Thanks Kindly, Doug

Attached Images    
Old 06-09-16, 07:10 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Hi, Doug. Welcome to the best DIY forum on the Internet!

That insulation could be almost anything from wood fibers to, gasp, asbestos-containing material. The only way to know for certain is to have it tested at a materials testing laboratory. Do you trust the landlord to being 100% honest?

Note well that the rule is, if you think it might be asbestos then it must be treated as asbestos until proven otherwise.

Old 06-13-16, 05:02 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Furd is correct in stating that it should be tested. Should cost $ 50.00 to $ 100.00.

There were and are many versions of cellulose that were wet sprayed to metal buildings to provide thermal protection. There are also cement/rock wool based materials spray applied to provide fire proofing which may have been a requirement when the structure was built.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: