Insulating baseboard and door

Old 07-05-16, 11:08 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulating baseboard and door

Greetings. I live in the Phoenix area and have a family room that is too warm--around 6 degrees warmer than the center of the house. It is on the SW side of the house. We recently had insulation added to the attic and that helped some, but not completely. I recently got a FLIR One and was having a look at the outside all of this room. As you can see from the attached pic, there is a significant heat source at the bottom of the door, and the baseboard adjacent to the door is hot too. I have two questions about how to address this.

First, the door jamb is of the "saddle" type. I know I can replace the sweep above it. But since the saddle is aluminum, it will conduct heat even if it's properly sealed. Is there a good alternative made of non-conductive material? For example, am I likely to find a suitable wooden replacement of the same shape? Can these be found in plastic, and if so where?

Second, I assume I could remove the baseboard and seal the area behind with caulk or spray foam. But I'm wondering if this will be worth the effort. In other words is doing this likely to have much of an effect on the heat coming into the room?

I guess there is only so much I will be able to do because of the windows in this area, but would like to do what I can.

Thanks,

Steve

Name:  flir_20160704T143354.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  37.7 KB

Old 07-05-16, 11:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,960 Upvotes on 1,757 Posts
The door sills are always aluminum. If yours is a dark color you could always paint it white. No I don't think it is worth the effort to remove the baseboard. Your time and money would be best spent by tinting your windows. Also look into what sort of ventilation you have above the room and see if it needs to be increased.

If the house has forced air hvac, look into whether the ducting needs to be increased in size and quantity. If this is a bonus room, that is likely the problem... not enough air being ducted to the area, and the air is simply not being mixed (averaged in temp) with the rest of the house.

Old 07-05-16, 02:54 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The windows already have 50% shade screens on the outside. I suppose I could get the ducting checked; however, the room has similar ducting to a bedroom on the same side of the house which is not too warm. This room has higher ceilings, but the combo of the door and baseboard make for a big radiator in there that has to be affecting the situation.

I'm surprised nobody has made a non-metal threshold. Aluminum has 5000 times the thermal conductivity of wood, and 10,000 times the thermal conductivity of polyurethane. Seems like a different material could make a big difference.

Old 07-05-16, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,960 Upvotes on 1,757 Posts
Higher ceilings hold a large volume of warm air. Almost every high ceiling would benefit from cold air returns located high on the walls or ceiling, depending.

Old 07-05-16, 06:13 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Put a piece of white tape on that aluminum threshold and look at it with your camera to see if it reduces the temperature signature. Looking at my terrible back door right beside me it has an aluminum threshold but it is covered with plastic. There is a section missing and in winter it glows with the cold, opposite of your heat in summer. So paint might help but test it with the tape. We often use black tape to get good temp readings off of reflective surfaces. White tape should be the opposite as X said.

What is under the floor, slab on grade, crawlspace, or basement. If it is open down there have you air sealed and insulated?

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: