Air holes in insulated open beam ceiling?

Old 07-29-16, 02:14 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air holes in insulated open beam ceiling?

When you insulate an open beam ceiling and finish it with plastic sheeting and drywall, must you have ventilation with 2" air gaps between the roof and the insulation and air holes leading out of the ceiling into the attic? I'm in Southern California so there's not really any extreme temperature lows in the first place.

Old 07-29-16, 02:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not clear on the type of ceiling/roof you are referring to. There should be no infiltration of air from the living side into the attic. Two separate atmospheres. Can you post pictures of the room(s) you are working on?

Old 07-29-16, 11:36 AM
A
Exposed 2 X 6 beams
Name:  example.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  9.6 KB

Old 07-29-16, 11:58 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Andy,
I see the open beam ceiling. I would expect insulation above that drywall with an air gap above that to allow air flow from soffit vents up to a high vent. But I have no explanation as to what is above what we see.

Also, in a hot climate if you use a vapor barrier it would go to the hot side to keep warm humid air from reaching your cool drywall.

Not sure what you are asking about holes.

Bud

Old 07-29-16, 01:31 PM
A
Must I have some gap between the insulation and the ceiling? An inch or two? Or is it OK if there is no space at all? Just packing as much rigid insulation as possible? I already finished one room with no space. Another room I finished with maybe about an inch of space. If moisture is blocked by painted drywall or a plastic sheet then I don't see why it would be a problem.

And do I need air holes at the high point, leading out of the compartments to the attic or somewhere else?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: