What goes behind the shower?

Old 08-15-16, 12:47 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What goes behind the shower?

Hello! I think this is the correct forum.

I’m renovating a closet and adding it to my bathroom. They are on the second floor of a cape cod, in a dormer. The shower will be in the outside corner, one side will be completely exterior, the other side is half exterior, half attic space. Besides some type of cement board for the shower walls, what should go behind it? Insulation is a must, but do I need an extra vapor barrier, kraft-lined insulation?
Thanks!

Old 08-15-16, 01:19 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Yes, I would insulate and put a vapor barrier between the studs and the cement board.

Old 08-15-16, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Make sure your water supplies are on an interior wall or there will be problems. You haven't addressed what type pan you plan on using, so we are assuming you have that under control.

Old 08-22-16, 09:32 AM
M
This is what I had in mind for the pan.

https://youtu.be/aKY2TjNUpYI?list=PLE025D61CF6E3515B

Old 08-22-16, 01:44 PM
So you plan on packing in a preslope, liner and slope? The You Tube kept on with methodology, so not sure which one you planned on.

Old 09-29-16, 08:03 AM
M
After a lot of youtube videos, reading and research I plan to go with this :

Schluter Kerdi-Shower 48 in. x 48 in. Shower Kit in PVC with Stainless Steel Drain Grate-KK122PVCE - The Home Depot

Seems relatively foolproof, and the last thing I need is my wife complaining about a leaky shower. Or a leaky shower...

The first thing I need to do is frame the shower stall. Then rough in the plumbing, including drain and vent. Then install cement board. Then install shower pan.

Questions

1. Do I need cement board over the subfloor? For the ceiling? Floor and walls will be tiled, but not the ceiling. I don’t think the tiles will go all the way up either. Design dept hasn’t gotten back to me yet.

2. Does one of my tasks need to be done before another? Such as install shower pan before cement board?

3. Current DWV is ABS. How do I combine ABS with PVC? I read there is a certain compound that is approved to glue them together. Is that true?

4. Should I use cement board only as high as the tiles will go vertically on the wall? I’m assuming there will be painted drywall above that and on the ceiling.

Anyone ever use this product? Feedback?

Old 09-29-16, 11:16 AM
M
Another question - I'll be installing a light in the shower. My concern with that being that directly above the shower is attic space. I dont want any extra humidity getting into that space. Should I use a waterproof box?

Old 09-29-16, 02:12 PM
1. No need for cbu under Schluter system
2. Wall cement board can be installed prior to the base and wall transition. Are you not going to use the Schluter system for the walls, or just for the base?
3. Weld-On ABS PVC 794 4 oz. Transition Cement - Green-13369 - The Home Depot
4. Take the cbu as high as the tile will be. You can overlap your tile at the very top onto sheetrock for a smooth transition without problems.
5. NuTone 70 CFM Ceiling Exhaust Fan with Recessed Light-744NT - The Home Depot

Old 09-29-16, 06:31 PM
M
Dayum!

I'll use schluter as far up the walls as the tile goes.

I don't want to put a fan in the shower stall. I already have one for the bathroom. I've already replaced the roof and decking covering this attic space due to rot and mold.

Old 09-30-16, 02:53 AM
If you already have an exhaust fan, then you could just use a regular can with a moisture resistant ring and cover. I am assuming you are in the remodel stage. Globe Electric 5 in. White LED IC Rated Shower Lens Recessed Lighting Kit Dimmable Downlight with Frost Lens-90752 - The Home Depot

Old 10-03-16, 11:18 AM
M
Chandler, you've been such tremendous help. Thank you.

I'm sure we're getting way off topic of insulation, and I apologize. Does the ptrap have to be directly underneath the drain? I never thought about what might be under the new shower, and in the future that trap could mess up my wife's kitchen reno... can I run it 6-8 inches and then install the trap?

Old 10-03-16, 02:49 PM
M
Scratch that last one. I googled it. Something else I saw on the all-knowing google - no vents is required if a 2" drain is within 5 feet of the stack?

Old 10-03-16, 02:52 PM
Getting it all done is the point. Glad it is coming together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: