Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bathroom insulation

TX

09-14-16, 11:55 AM   #1  
Bathroom insulation

I'm redoing the master bathroom and have some insulation questions. On my exterior wall I have old insulation then a plastic cover. Need to put on new insulation, should it be faced or unfaced? Does it matter? I was thinking unfaced and then new plastic sheet. Is this best? Also my interior wall backs up to a water heater and had insulation. Do I need to put in new insulation? Finally how does the plastic fit with a new shower pan? Would I just tape/staple it to the base plate or run it into the pan area?
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  36.2 KB

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

09-14-16, 11:57 AM   #2  
Generally, when used, vapor barrier goes to the warm side of the wall. Since you're in Texas, I would think that would be the outside of the insulation, not the inside - you generally run the AC more days of the year than the heat, right?

The insulation on the inside wall was an attempt at sound attenuation, IMO. Your call whether it should be replaced.

TX

09-14-16, 12:42 PM   #3  
I am in central Texas and it's about equal parts AC and heating, probably leans toward more AC. The outside wall does face south. I noticed that the staples used to secure the vapor barrier were rusted. When I removed the last of the tile the vapor barrier was laid inside the pan. So I found the answer to my last question. Didn't think about a sound barrier. Thanks for the input stick.

Search this Thread