Bathroom insulation

Old 09-14-16, 11:55 AM
Bathroom insulation

I'm redoing the master bathroom and have some insulation questions. On my exterior wall I have old insulation then a plastic cover. Need to put on new insulation, should it be faced or unfaced? Does it matter? I was thinking unfaced and then new plastic sheet. Is this best? Also my interior wall backs up to a water heater and had insulation. Do I need to put in new insulation? Finally how does the plastic fit with a new shower pan? Would I just tape/staple it to the base plate or run it into the pan area?
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  36.2 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-16, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
Generally, when used, vapor barrier goes to the warm side of the wall. Since you're in Texas, I would think that would be the outside of the insulation, not the inside - you generally run the AC more days of the year than the heat, right?

The insulation on the inside wall was an attempt at sound attenuation, IMO. Your call whether it should be replaced.

Old 09-14-16, 12:42 PM
I am in central Texas and it's about equal parts AC and heating, probably leans toward more AC. The outside wall does face south. I noticed that the staples used to secure the vapor barrier were rusted. When I removed the last of the tile the vapor barrier was laid inside the pan. So I found the answer to my last question. Didn't think about a sound barrier. Thanks for the input stick.