Old attic insulation: remove or cover with new?

Old 10-02-16, 11:19 AM
Old attic insulation: remove or cover with new?

Hello,

I have some old insulation in my attic and I was wondering what the right move would be:

take it out or cover it with new insulation. I included a pic. You can see it is brown and has the vapor protection.Name:  IMG_4684.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  50.9 KB

I know if I just add more fiberglass to remove the paper. Just want to be sure it is ok to leave this old stuff or not.

Thanks,

Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-16, 11:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Absolutely this insulation, whatever kind it is, should be removed and new insulation put back in.

Old 10-02-16, 11:38 AM
When it gets that bad it is hard to say if it is adding any insulation value. In the summer when you have the ac running air from that attic will leak doqn through the house and the family will be breathing that air.

Yuck,
Bud

Old 10-02-16, 11:52 AM
OK, it´s coming out.
Thanks for the input.
I live in the North East so I am going to go with R39 and of course, do it myself.

Thanks again,

Pete

Old 10-02-16, 01:26 PM
Make sure you wear a good respirator while pulling it out. One, you don't want to breathe insulation fibers and all that dirt and crud, and two, there's always a good chance that there will be mouse droppings in attic insulation and they can make you quite ill if fragments are inhaled.

Old 10-03-16, 03:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Once you have the old removed don't forget to air seal the ceiling before putting in new insulation.

Old 10-03-16, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the great input.

I have gone ahead and bought a breathable suit, goggles, a respirator, and gloves. My plan is to get everything really cleaned up by removing any old insulation, then air seal any cracks, install baffles, and finally put in the insulation. I have not decided which type to use yet; blown in or fiberglass batts. The previous owner left A LOT of unopened R30 batts up in the attic. Going with batts will save me a few bucks if I go that route, but I can be talked out of that if cellulose is the better choice.

Again, anyone´s thought on that would be welcomed,

Pete

Old 10-03-16, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The nice thing about blown insulation is it covers everything - less likely to have any voids in the insulation. There is no reason you can't do both .... I'm a little on the cheap side and would use up the batts you have on hand

Search this Thread