Former back porch now current bathroom

Old 10-04-16, 03:02 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Former back porch now current bathroom

I am remodeling a recently purchased home. The previous owners converted the back porch into a bathroom. (good idea) They fed the plumbing through the floor joists, put some foam insulation below the joists (most of which is falling off) then they added electric baseboard heating, cut some vents in the floor and crossed their fingers (bad idea).

Currently I have the floor, subfloor and all walls removed. What do I do now? I could try more foam boards under the joists, (there is about 3-4 feet of open air before the ground former porch remember), force air in between a joist and vent up through the floor? This would be ok for the water pipes in that joist but what about when they cross over to other joists that don't have air forced through them?

Old 10-04-16, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
We don't know where you live so we can't comment on a pipe freezing issue.
Pictures of what you are working with allow us to help you better. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 10-05-16, 11:03 AM
D
Here are 3 photos taken from the door. First one is an overview the other two close ups of the left and right sides. They installed the blue foam boards under the joists, and you can see on the right side where it was falling down. The current plumbing will be re-arranged, but don't think this fact matters.

I live in Madison, WI.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71571[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]71572[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]71573[/ATTACH]

Attached Images    
Old 10-05-16, 11:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
I'd be inclined to attach foam to the bottom and then cover it with plywood to protect it from critters and the elements.

Old 10-05-16, 01:01 PM
D
Installing some foam boards is basically what the previous homeowner did. Except for one wall, the other 3 sides, roof and floor are adjacent to the outside. There were a number of close calls of pipes freezing last winter. Now that it is opened up I'd like to do it properly.

Old 10-05-16, 01:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
dan.... are your pictures posted directly to DIY or are they hosted on another site ?

Old 10-05-16, 02:39 PM
D
Directly uploaded from my computer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: