basement insulation

Old 11-17-16, 12:44 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
basement insulation

Hi,

I'm in the process of purchasing an apt building that was built in the 1870s and it has an irregular stone foundation. The city water pipes and water pumps are in the basement and in previous years the owner has used a space heater to prevent the pipes from freezing. I prefer not to use the heater and I want to build a small room and insulate it to try to avoid using the space heater. There is no heat source in the basement. My question is how do I insulate around the irregular stone foundation. I don't think I can build walls against it because the service panels are attached there. The building is in Maine and it does get pretty cold here in the winter. I'm not sure if foam insulation would provide enough insulation. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 11-17-16, 02:10 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Anthony,
Currently 50 in Bangor, but I know it will get colder.
I've seen a couple of basements where they cleaned up those walls and covered them with 3 or 4 inches of closed cell spray foam and the results were great. But, in both of these cases they ignored applying a thermal barrier. Of course back then they didn't have a spray on option.

If the walls are somewhat reasonable, you install pressure treated studs in front and fill the cavities with the spray foam. Then, those studs would give you a surface to attach some drywall for the thermal barrier.

Any pictures?

Bud

Old 11-18-16, 06:08 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bud,

Thanks for your response. It is really warm here now but inevitably it will turn much colder. I will try to grab some pics next week.

Anthony

Old 11-18-16, 03:45 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I prefer not to use the heater and I want to build a small room and insulate it to try to avoid using the space heater.

If it's an unheated area then what is the insulation going to do?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: