3 season or Florida room unusable

Old 02-02-17, 05:27 AM
3 season or Florida room unusable

Hello All,

I just moved to a new home in July that has an additional 260sq ft room on the back. It has 8 windows and a 36'' door in it. The sheathing is 1'' foam and then it is vinyl sided. The previous owner had it built in '87. Insulation of floor joists was done with paper facing the ground and mice had been living through out it since it was not soffited either. The pitched roof is uninsulated and they had a drop ceiling which I took down. The interior walls are 2x4 and have faced fiberglass batts with 1/4'' drywall then paneling. There are no vents in the roof at all. Moved in July and the room was a sauna. Removed disgusting insulation under floor on a cool, rainy day. Found a hidden, old roof leak and began ripping out one wall to see how far mold went. I now plan to rip out all of the interior-paneling, drywall, insulation. Tape seams of foam sheathing and put roxul in. I will then re-drywall. In the floor I already have 2'' foam I got very cheap that I want to rip to fit into joist bays, foam the seams, and then put roxul in as well and soffit it. My question do I need to vent the space and how would I go about it? The room is frigid now and a sauna in the heat. I call it the no season room. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-17, 06:55 AM
Group Moderator
This is one of my hot buttons, so I hope this doesn't blow you away. Your room probably has 5 surfaces that are like exterior walls... 3 walls, floor and ceiling. Its no wonder that it's going to be hot/cold. Is there any air conditioning or heat being ducted out there, or any cold air returns to regulate the air out there? If not, no wonder it is so hot/cold. Adding insulation to walls, floor and ceilings does not keep a room warm, and does not prevent it from getting hot. But it would help keep a hot room hot, or help keep a cold room cold, depending how you look at it. And the 6th wall...is this room open on one side toward the house, or does it have a patio door or something to close it off? It's practically pointless to try to heat and cool a room that is practically impossible to climate control because of the way it's built. What you have is an enclosed porch... an enclosed deck... any other name is a misnomer, although I do like the term no-season room... i'll have to remember that one.

There is a reason they don't call these sort of rooms Pennsylvania rooms... or North Dakota rooms. Florida rooms work in Florida because it never gets cold there... and the floor is on slab, so it's not built like a deck and is not consuming energy to heat and cool.

Nothing about the way it was constructed was meant to make it comfortable, other than it having windows that you can open when it gets too hot. Without any sheathing, the floor is not air sealed (insulation needs a dead air space). I assume the windows aren't air sealed or insulated either, and that the foam sheathing you mentioned is not taped. Drywall seams need to be taped to form an air barrier so that your reduce condtioned air and outside air from being exchanged. The fact that the room is mostly glass is also another strike working against it. Glass is a poor insulator, so if the majority of the walls are glass, it's going to be hard / impossible to heat without a major expense in heating and cooling. If the windows are single pane, that's even worse.

We can't tell you how to vent the roof as we don't know what style of roof it is. The roof should probably be vented, but if it's a shed (lean-to) style of roof, that's difficult to do at this point. You would also need to frame in an 8' ceiling and blow R-49 on top of it if you have any hope of holding heat in there. An attic fan and soffit ventilation (does it have soffits?) might be needed to pull heat out in summer months.

A room like that will need it's own heating and air conditioning + thermostat if you expect it to maintain one constant room temperature. And expect the utility bill to be expensive. Think wall unit, like what a motel has.

Old 02-02-17, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
I have a similar room off the back of my house though I would expect mine is better insulated and it sits on a slab. I don't have AC but do have a lot of trees so mine is ok in the warmer half of the year. When it's cold, there's an electric baseboard heater out there which works well but I refuse to pay what it costs to run. In the end, I use this room maybe 2/3 of the year. Right now, it's closed off with a towel at the base of the door to stop airflow through the gap at the bottom.

Old 02-02-17, 09:45 AM
If I rigid foam the floor joists and spray foam the perimeter, the floor with be air sealed. The back of the house has the original wood door with untempered glass and two original windows. I will try and post pics. There is no heat/air in room. The plan is to just get it usable as a play room for most of the year. Obviously, the 2 doors and all of the windows will eventually be replaced. Once i get you some pics the roof will make sense. Thx.

Old 02-02-17, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
I have a door and a window between my house and porch. If I'm attempting to use the porch, both the window and the door have to be left open to mingle the house and porch air as much as possible.