Blue Board on 12' x 12' pole barn door?

Old 04-27-17, 06:37 PM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Blue Board on 12' x 12' pole barn door?

Hello, I have a 36'x48' pole barn with a 12'x12' sliding door. The girts are 2x4's across.

The barn faces south and there is a lot of heat from the sun on the door which radiates into the barn. I can stand 6-10 feet away and still feel the heat radiating from the door when the sun is on it.

Wondering how to attach 1.5" blue board to the inside? Is there a special glue that works best? I can't see screwing it on.

Is this the best way to prevent the heat from coming through the metal into the barn? I cannot afford to use blue board throughout. I have put 6" bat insulation half way down the long wall so far to help with the sun beating on the E. wall in the am. I put 1/2" ac plywood to hold the insulation in place. The posts are 4x6" spaced 8' apart. When I am able, I will continue the rest of the wall.

The W. wall has lining for the horse stalls. Please see attached pics. This wall gets a lot of afternoon sun.

The portion of the E. wall with the 6" bats is where I store the years supply of hay and wanted to keep it from being baked this summer.

I hope to put the blue board on the sliding door sometime this summer so am asking for help with how best to attach it between the girts.

Thank You,

Attached Images   

Last edited by Saddlebum; 04-27-17 at 06:53 PM. Reason: forgot the pics
Old 05-05-17, 02:03 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not in construction and I can't tell where your 12x12' sliding door is in the 2 pictures but...
Try this maybe:
AtticFoil Videos: Installation and Info - AtticFoil® Radiant Barrier - Do-It-Yourself Professional Grade Radiant Barrier

Old 05-05-17, 02:29 PM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Opps, Sorry, here is a pic of the door.

Thank You, that is a great info link!

Attached Images  
Old 05-05-17, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I used regular adhesive caulk (Dynaflex 230) to insulate my garage door with foil covered polyiso foam. I wanted the silver foil surface to help keep heat out in summer, and help keep it in in winter. Reflects light well also, so brightens the garage. It's easy to repair when it gets a gouge (and it will get gouged), just cut a piece of foil duct tape and cover the damage.

Might need to temporarily hold it in place for a while as the caulk sets, but since you'll have support for each panel from the girts, it won't take much. Masking tape or some light strapping attached to the girts will hold it. 20-30 minutes and it will set.

I guarantee I get more blazing hot sun on my garage door than people in the midwest. 100 outside right now at 3400 ft elevation and not a cloud in the sky. I pity the people down by the river. They normally run 8-10 degrees hotter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: