Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I know it'll be ugly but need to temporarily board up a window

VA

06-21-17, 06:21 AM   #1  
I know it'll be ugly but need to temporarily board up a window

I'll be boarding from the inside since this is not for security purposes but rather insulation purposes.
What is the lightest weight material that provides the most insulation, dryboard?

Last edited by MichaelChang; 06-21-17 at 07:36 AM.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

06-21-17, 07:39 AM   #2  
Rigid foam is what's coming to my mind.

Group Moderator

NC

06-21-17, 08:56 AM   #3  
Many big box home centers only stock 1/2" thick foam but if you check with a lumber yard they may have thicker. My local Lowes only carries 1/2" thick but my local, independent lumber yard stocks up to 2" thick.

ME

06-21-17, 09:01 AM   #4  
Hi Michael. Covering the inside with rigid foam can be a problem with some windows because of their solar properties. it traps too much heat. if plain glass single or double pane it should be fine.

Since windows are such a poor insulator a major improvement can be achieved with just 1" of standard pink or blue foam board (r-5 per inch). Using polyisocyanurate at R-6.5 per inch is a bit better and usually comes with a foil face. I would leave the shinny side to the inside and perhaps paint the outward side white.

Bud

Search this Thread