Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

3/4" insulation you can stand on vs spray foam for ambulance

07-02-17, 03:57 PM   #1  
3/4" insulation you can stand on vs spray foam for ambulance

I have an odd problem. I'm turning a 4x4 ambulance into an RV and want to replace the floor with something better insulating.

The box is basically one large reinforced aluminum box. The floor currently consists of 3/4" plywood (on top of bare aluminum) followed by what looks like linoleum and then a layer of rubber (previous owner put in). The sides of the box are occupied by tool cabinets so the area I'm talking about is quite narrow (about 13ft x 4ft)

The total height of the flooring (on top of the aluminum) cannot exceed the current inch or you'll push my head through the roof.

I have access to a bunch of EnergyShield foam insulation but I doubt I could stand directly on it. Another option which would be a major pain in the butt would be insulating the underside with closed cell spray foam. I have no experience with spray foam and would have to spray around the drivetrain, exhaust, and cross-member after extensive cleaning. Also the joists under the floor (aluminum square tube) would have to be covered and/or filled with foam. Keep in mind aluminum is an excellent heat conductor. The major plus would be removing the 3/4" plywood which would alleviate the headroom issue.

Any ideas will be considered helpful.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

07-02-17, 04:10 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

I corrected your title to 3/4" instead of 3.4". If I'm incorrect..... let me know.
I also moved your thread to the insulation forum.

~ Pete ~

07-02-17, 05:06 PM   #3  
Yeah, thanks

Group Moderator

TX

07-02-17, 05:32 PM   #4  
Place a one foot by one foot grid of 1x1s (actual "x" thick) on the base floor. Fill each space of the grid with " foam board. Cover with " or " plywood.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Group Moderator

NC

07-02-17, 05:38 PM   #5  
Rigid foam would work if you can put some sheeting on top to spread the load out. Still, 1/2 - 1" of foam of foam and then 1/2 to 3/4" of plywood on top will eat slightly into your headroom.

Search this Thread