Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

3/4" insulation you can stand on vs spray foam for ambulance

Old 07-02-17, 03:57 PM

I have an odd problem. I'm turning a 4x4 ambulance into an RV and want to replace the floor with something better insulating.

The box is basically one large reinforced aluminum box. The floor currently consists of 3/4" plywood (on top of bare aluminum) followed by what looks like linoleum and then a layer of rubber (previous owner put in). The sides of the box are occupied by tool cabinets so the area I'm talking about is quite narrow (about 13ft x 4ft)

The total height of the flooring (on top of the aluminum) cannot exceed the current inch or you'll push my head through the roof.

I have access to a bunch of EnergyShield foam insulation but I doubt I could stand directly on it. Another option which would be a major pain in the butt would be insulating the underside with closed cell spray foam. I have no experience with spray foam and would have to spray around the drivetrain, exhaust, and cross-member after extensive cleaning. Also the joists under the floor (aluminum square tube) would have to be covered and/or filled with foam. Keep in mind aluminum is an excellent heat conductor. The major plus would be removing the 3/4" plywood which would alleviate the headroom issue.

Any ideas will be considered helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-17, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I corrected your title to 3/4" instead of 3.4". If I'm incorrect..... let me know.
I also moved your thread to the insulation forum.

Old 07-02-17, 05:06 PM
Yeah, thanks

Old 07-02-17, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Place a one foot by one foot grid of 1x1s (actual "x" thick) on the base floor. Fill each space of the grid with " foam board. Cover with " or " plywood.

Old 07-02-17, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Rigid foam would work if you can put some sheeting on top to spread the load out. Still, 1/2 - 1" of foam of foam and then 1/2 to 3/4" of plywood on top will eat slightly into your headroom.