What type of insulation material is this?

Old 07-05-17, 06:40 AM
What type of insulation material is this?

My loft is full of a grey, fluffy material (on top of white fibreglass). I've had a look online and it looks to me like blown-in cellulose (though I've also seen mention of/photos of similar material that was described as loose-fill asbestos insulation. I anyone able to confirm what this material is? Thanks

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-17, 08:57 AM
It's not going to be possible to confirm positively with a picture, here is what my 10 year old cellulose looks like!

Name:  20170705_115254.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  31.4 KB

Old 07-05-17, 10:13 AM
Do you know the age of the house or approximately when the grey stuff was installed?

Mailing off a sample to get it tested is not that expensive and it would answer your concerns as well as any in the future when you sell.

Bud

Old 07-08-17, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the help - it does look like cellulose, both from the picture above and the Internet.
The house is ex local authority and was built in around 1948, I think. Given that it's on top of bags of fibreglass, it's hard to imagine the loose-fill is much older than forty years - and I'd have thought it unlikely that the council would have used loose-fill asbestos?