Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page > 9PM and daughter's room has a warm spot 2ft up the wall in corner of her room???

9PM and daughter's room has a warm spot 2ft up the wall in corner of her room???

Old 08-09-17, 06:21 PM
9PM and daughter's room has a warm spot 2ft up the wall in corner of her room???

I live in an uninsulated, brick split level. My daughter's room is above the garage and the corner in question faces Southwest. It is dark and my daughter just woke up screaming because she thought the warm wall meant fire. We have baseboard heat and the boiler is shut off. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing the warm spot? I actually have my utility company coming out to do an energy assessment in a month. Brick walls with ferring strips and drywall or whatever they used n 1963. Could it be a beehive or heat radiating up from the garage?? I am at a loss. The rest of the wall feels normal. There are no outlets near the corner so I have ruled out electric issue. I do not have ductwork since I have bb heat. Any advice on what to look for is appreciated. I do not want to have to rip open the wall and pay someone to fix it to figure out what is going on.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-17, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
If that wall has brick on the other side and there is no insulation.... you'll be feeling the heat from the brick for quite a while.

Old 08-10-17, 06:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Southwest is always the hottest direction. What type of ceiling is in the garage?

Old 08-10-17, 08:24 AM
Electrical issues are not limited to the area of the receptacles as wires often run all around the rooms.

How hot is hot?

Plus what Pj and Shorty said.

Does this area cool down by morning?

Bud

Old 08-10-17, 08:37 AM
Area was cool this morning. It was noticeably warmer to the touch in contrast to the rest of the wall last night. Kind of like an animal was sleeping there. The garage is old drywall will failing seams. I also have an open chase from moving the electrical panel and rerouting gas line for generator. I have glued up 1'' rigid foam and put roxul over that. Have not patched the drywall since there is still electrical runs to redo as well as the cable line. I have my utility company coming out to do an energy assessment in a month. There is more air movement than I can possibly get to from attic through the house. I will most likely have the attic air sealed and I have Roxul ready to go to reinsulate after that and probably blown in cellulose on top of that. The garage ceiling needs to be ripped out so I can air seal and insulate her floor from underneath. I may have room on the one wall to rip out drywall and insulate. The outside wall is probably ferring strips and then drywall.

Search this Thread