Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Would the pink insulation foam board work if placed facing the outside?

Old 11-24-17, 09:11 PM

Patio sliding glass door.
Three panels.
Panel one is fixed so a plastic sheeting barrier would work for that.
Panel two is the door itself so again the plastic sheeting barrier would work.
Panel three is the panel that the sliding door slides back over so a plastic sheeting barrier wouldn't work with another panel sliding over it.
Insulation foam board wouldn't work either unless I placed it over the panel from the outside.
Question is, do the insulation foam boards only work when placed on the inside or could I place on on the outside?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-17, 10:07 PM
Group Moderator
I've read your post three times and can't figure out what you are doing with the foam board. Are you winterizing the door ?

Old 11-25-17, 12:37 AM
For a temp installation yes, inside or out would work!

Old 11-25-17, 04:47 AM
PJ, since the sliding glass door is single pane glass and spans a 12' x 8' area, I must be losing tons of heat through it.
I am trying to insulate it to keep heat from escaping.
The sliding glass door consists of three glass panes.
On two of the panes I can put the plastic sheeting film. (the pane that moves and one of the fixed panes)
The other pane I can't put anything on, on the inside that is, since that is the pane that the moving pane slides over.
Hence my only option is to insulate it from the outside.

Old 11-25-17, 05:31 AM
Thermal drapes on the inside would cover all three panels, at a cost.

Bud

Old 11-25-17, 10:49 AM
Thermal drapes on the inside
A good option, we have a door wall that we hang a large blanket from when the temps drop. With a GEO thermal it really helps cycle time by closing off the windows at night.

Old 11-25-17, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
If you won't buy thermal drapes and still want to use foam...

Foam on the outside will blow away the first time the wind blows.

Your door likely has an extension jamb on the inside. I would make up a little wooden frame to "just fit" inside the existing extension jamb. So for instance it might look like a box made out of 1x2s that is 144x96. Then divide that into 3 sections by adding 2 additional vertical 1x2s. Then fit the foam inside those 3 sections. Once you are done, slip the entire thing into the opening and secure it with a few shims around the perimeter. Or put face trim on it that is minimally secured.

Old 11-25-17, 02:32 PM
The glass in that last pane has a very narrow inset, maybe a half inch so I would need some sort of foam insulator board that was only 1/2 inch thick which would be perfect but I think the thinnest I've seen is 1 inch.
I just realized the outside isn't an option either because I have security bars that would prevent the foam board from going in

Old 11-27-17, 07:59 AM
I looked at it the other day and it's barely 1/4 inset. I already have curtains up - there has to be a way to insulate those doors

Old 11-27-17, 09:48 AM
I'm not really a door or window guy so without a picture i don't know what you are seeing, but, here are a couple of thoughts, don't laugh.

In my work with seniors we needed the lowest cost window treatment that would improve those windows. State law said we could not recommend the shrink wrap because it limited the egress. One suggestion was to use soapy water and bubble wrap (the packing material type). Once applied it stayed in place and provided an additional layer, then easily removed in spring. And it allowed some light in.

The foil/bubble/foil stuff would work the same way but don't go for their hype on r-value.

Either would be thin enough to meet your 1/4" you mention.

For the outside, if you uses a good double sided tape it should stay in place. Not sure what you have for depth, but some form of foam board should be available down to 1/2".

Bud