Bonus room above garage

Old 05-08-01, 05:50 PM
zalyx1
Visiting Guest
Question

Building bonus guest room above garage with 12\12 pitch. Wondering which way would be better to insulate garage ceiling/guest room floor : R19 with kraft face or an R13 with a 4 or 6 mill plastic vapor barrier. I'm thinking that the plastic barrier will help with any car fumes that might get past the two 5\8 layers of drywall.
Or am i completely wrong on both accounts ?

Thanx in advance for any input, Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-01, 07:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I just completed my bonus room above my garage. I used R25 fiberglass between the roof rafters and knee wall and R30 for the ceiling. I covered everything with a poly vapor barrier except the floor. In the floor (or garage ceiling) I again used R25 fiberglass. Try running a string along the length of the room where the knee wall meets the roof rafters and use this to support the insulation at this junction. This will allow you to use a continuous piece of insulation for the roof rafters and knee wall.

[Edited by Ozark Razorback on 05-09-01 at 04:01]

Old 05-09-01, 10:26 AM
zalyx1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanx Ozark ! Any problems with fumes from cars ?

Old 05-09-01, 10:39 AM
Visiting Guest
How often do you leave your car running in your closed garage? I have never heard this question come up.

Old 05-09-01, 01:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I insulated and put up sheet rock in the garage the same time I finished my bonus room and do not have any problems with odors entering the loft area. However, carbon monoxide can and will find its way into almost any room so be careful about running a car in or near the garage. Good Luck.

Old 05-09-01, 09:54 PM
zalyx1
Visiting Guest
Wink FUMES

More Than a Carpenter/Ozark,

My wife and I don't run the car in a closed garage. However, as Ozark mentioned, fumes are silent but deadly and I have heard about this on the news. If you have any kids you know they can do some things you can't catch until it's too late. All it takes is a toddler to get ahold of some keys and hit the remote starter when the garage is shut. In a 2700 sq. ft. house you can easily be on the opposite side of the house and not hear a quiet car run. If a child was sleeping or playing they wouldn't know the difference. The results could be heartbreaking and i've got three kids I want to outlive me !
The question may be a bit silly , but sometimes the silly ones can provoke interesting things to think about. No such thing as a question too stupid to ask. Which is why you'll probably see me ask alot of them, after all I am a do it yourselfer !
Gotta go , thank you both for your input and concern !

[Edited by zalyx1 on 05-10-01 at 01:02]