Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulation for hardwood floors

GA

01-15-18, 05:16 PM   #1  
Insulation for hardwood floors

I'm looking at reducing the amount of heat loss through hardwood floors by doubling the insulation in the garage ceiling underneath it; there's a noticeable temperature difference in the hardwood floor area than the adjacent carpeted areas. There's currently R11 insulation underneath the hardwood floor, would adding R13 insulation (without paper vapor barrier) on top of the R11 be beneficial? I do have enough space to add another layer of insulation. I'm in GA, temperatures can jump from 15F to 80F within a few days 🙄

Sponsored Links

ME

01-15-18, 05:33 PM   #2  
You tell that 80 to get jumping all they way up to Maine .
There are two approaches to insulating a floor over a cold space and both start with a good effort to caulk and can foam every possible air leak. Cold weather air flow through a house in in through the lower leaks and out through the upper leaks and it takes any heat at floor level with it.

After air sealing your choice is to fill those cavities 100% or (this takes some explaining) everything except a 1" or 2" gap at the top. Filling it completely gives the greatest reduction in heat loss. But leaving a gap at the top produces warmer floors. Somewhere I have a reference that discusses this. The convention is to push whatever insulation is used all the way to the top so adding what you suggest is fine, more if it fits without a major amount of compression.

Bud

GA

01-16-18, 06:49 AM   #3  
Thanks for pointing out sealing gaps, I remember seeing large drilled holes but never considered sealing them up. While looking for gaps to fill, I also noticed an old gas pipe line running to the dryer and shady fixings that can probably be removed and replaced with insulation too.

Search this Thread